Cord through carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bprmod

Hi all been reading this forum for a while but never need to ask a question:
I have been asked by a interior designer (gotta love em) if I would cut the end off of an extention cord , push it through the weave of an area rug rewire a new cord cap and plug it into the floor box we installed. This is so the owners can plug in lamps as they chose. I said I wouldn't do it and she said she has electricians do it all the time. Now the general contractor wants to know what code section this violates. Does this sound like a good idea to anyone?

iMuse97

Hi all been reading this forum for a while but never need to ask a question:
I have been asked by a interior designer (gotta love em) if I would cut the end off of an extention cord , push it through the weave of an area rug rewire a new cord cap and plug it into the floor box we installed. This is so the owners can plug in lamps as they chose. I said I wouldn't do it and she said she has electricians do it all the time. Now the general contractor wants to know what code section this violates. Does this sound like a good idea to anyone?

To your question: NO.
To the general contractor's question: Article 400.
To the idea that electricians do this all the time: No electrician does this.
Some other unspecified, and uninformed, brow-beaten laborer might do that.
I think 400.7, along with 400.8 [especially (7)] provide all the info. you need.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
To your question: NO.
To the general contractor's question: Article 400.
To the idea that electricians do this all the time: No electrician does this.
Some other unspecified, and uninformed, brow-beaten laborer might do that.
I think 400.7, along with 400.8 [especially (7)] provide all the info. you need.

(7) Where subject to physical damage
How is this more subject to damage then if it was laying on top of the carpet?

It may actually be less subject to damage being under the carpet than on top of it.

Besides, extension cords are mostly not covered by the code.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Besides, extension cords are mostly not covered by the code.
See 400.7(B), it pretty much describes an extension cord and if I were an inspector I would interpret it as such. That being the case I could cite 400.8(1).

Roger

RICK NAPIER

It would not be allowed for the reasons cited. As for being safer under the carpet, you can't see ware under the carpet. The cord gets damaged then it smolders under tha carpet and finally ignites. I have seen more than one fire caused by this.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Reflecting on Rick Napier's comment, on common UL listed cord sets, you will probably find a note on the packaging to avoid running them under carpeting. [110.3(B)] In general, "ordinary use" cord sets should not be concealed. When covered by carpeting, foot traffic alone may damage them. As described in the OP, a simple shift in the area rug could loosen the cap.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
See 400.7(B), it pretty much describes an extension cord and if I were an inspector I would interpret it as such. That being the case I could cite 400.8(1).

Roger

Actually it only describes one end of a cord. In context it appears the other end of the cord would be permanently attached.

Don't get me wrong, I do not think this is an especially good idea.

How does one prevent a HO from sliding an extension cord under a rug?

How is this any different than a HO putting the lamp cord itself under the rug?

This kind of creative interpretation of the code to suit a desirable goal ought to stop. If you want to ban extension cords under a rug, why not propose a code change to do so. How is that going to stop a HO from doing so anyway?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The question isn't whether a homeowner is capable of doing something unsafe; the question is whether a professional should aid and abet a homeowner in doing something unsafe.

DTLight

You might see if the client would go for one of the listed under carpet wiring systems. An advantage would be that the wiring is flat, so there wouldn't be an unattractive wrinkle in the carpet that could be a tripping hazard. Tyco/Amp makes one, there are probably others as well.

http://www.ampnetconnect.com/documents/ENG/114-6008-Application_Specification-RevD.pdf

The carpet folks would need to cut out a section of the carpet for the receptacle.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The question isn't whether a homeowner is capable of doing something unsafe; the question is whether a professional should aid and abet a homeowner in doing something unsafe.

I reiterate that I do not consider this to be an especially good idea. That does not mean it is a code violation.

There are a fair number of people that make their own lamps. It is doubtful any of them are listed as is now required by code for luminaires. What if an inspector sees one plugged into an outlet that was installed as part of a remodel? Should he red tag the remodel? It is a violation. How is that any different?

What if he sees a 2 wire lamp that uses a cord that is not polarized plugged into a new outlet he is inspecting? Red tag?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Here is another really bad idea that is not a code violation, but is arguably far more dangerous than running an extension cord under a rug where the AFCI will provide protection.

How would you feel about an installation that had a 240V 4 wire outdoor receptacle?

How about if it was next to an empty 3' X 3' concrete pad?

How about if there was a portable generator sitting on the pad?

What if there was a length of cord coiled up by the generator?

Two unconnected male plugs laying next to the cord?

How about if one of the male plugs was connected to the cord and the other one was just sitting there?

How about if both ends of the cord have a male plug on them?

The suicide cord is hanging up in the garage 100 yards away and there was no electrical work done in the garage?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
and we wonder why we are required to install and enforce requirements for AFCI breakers! (bang head here)

I don't wonder at all. I believe it is almost entirely about money. in fairness, it may not be that way, but it is certainly what I believe to be the case.

It is like traffic citations. Almost entirely about revenue. And everyone knows it.

bprmod

Since this is in the living room there is no arc fault, but since I passed on the collective wisdom to the owners they are electing to cut a hole in their $10,000? rug big enough for the plug. This is under the sofa.

Status
Not open for further replies.