Cords allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
This is a similar question to the computer room article 645 code question. If you have a raised floor room, but you don't fall under all the gotta have's of NEC 645, can you run non-DP power cables from equipment through a 4" hole in the floor to an outlet box mounted on the floor (about 2' below the top of the floor)? This floor has no air being pumped into it, so its not an environmental air space. I see this just as a concealed space, that is actually easy to reveal since the floor tiles lift out.

Our inspector seems to want flush floor boxes and I don't know why.

mdshunk

Re: Cords allowed

Maybe because of:

400.88 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code
(7) Where subject to physical damage

[ September 14, 2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

dillon3c

I believe that article 645 of the 05'NEC modifies 400.7 and 400.8.

*As outlined in 90.3

645.5(B)Cord and Plug Connections
The data processing system shall be permitted to be connected to the branch circuit by any of the following means:
(1)Flexable cord and attachment plug cap not to exceed 4.5m(15ft).

(2)Cord set assembly.Where run on the surface of the floor,they shall be protected against physical damage.

(D)*Under Raised Floors. Power cables, communications cable,connecting cables,interconnecting cables, and receptacles associated with the information technology equipment-*shall be-permitted under a raised floor, providing the following conditions are met.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by dillon3c:
I believe that article 645 of the 05'NEC modifies 400.7 and 400.8.
I agree if the room matches all the 645 requirements.

If you have a raised floor room, but you don't fall under all the gotta have's of NEC 645, can you run non-DP power cables from equipment through a 4" hole in the floor to an outlet box mounted on the floor (about 2' below the top of the floor)?
In this case the room is not a 645 room so Article 400 must be followed.

IMO the inspector is correct.

All those 'gotta haves' are what allows the looser rules for cords in 645.

dillon3c

Bob,
Must have misread posting..Thought Mark was asking about an "Information Technology Room".

*my mistake..

Status
Not open for further replies.