Cords and Receptacles above a Suspended ceiling

SparkyAdam

Occupation
Electrician/Small Business Owner
Hello all,

Flexible cord is not permitted above a grid ceiling, as noted in 400.12, but does this include manufacturer-supplied power cords?

I am doing code corrections to an eye care center that has several access points mounted to the bottom of the grid that are powered by extension cables run through the suspended ceiling. Would it be possible to eliminate the extension cords and mount a receptacle right above where the access point is mounted so that the power adapter cord included with the access point would reach that plug without using an extension cord? I don't see verbiage to that effect in 400.12...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The cord cannot be above the ceiling. The receptacle can be mounted flush within the ceiling so that the cord is not above the ceiling but that's it. You said access points, are these powered by 120 volt cord and plugs or are they powered with wall wart style transformers?

SparkyAdam

Occupation
Electrician/Small Business Owner
I would think so; yeah, I mean from article 100, two or more flexible conductors, and that would have two. So unless a code exception exists somewhere, I would think it can't be.

Consider that only the wall-wart is at line voltage, the output is going to be very current-limited low voltage. Approach this from the low-voltage end and whether the power adapter itself is suitable for a suspended ceiling (is it a plenum or not?). (Note that it's not marked as a "Class xx" supply.)

In this exact case, if the ceiling isn't passing environmental air, I probably wouldn't have much of a problem with it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Would it be possible to eliminate the extension cords and mount a receptacle right above where the access point is mounted so that the power adapter cord included with the access point would reach that plug without using an extension cord? I don't see verbiage to that effect in 400.12...
Mount the receptacle so it's below the ceiling, it's a common installation. There are a number of ways to do it.

Here's one
1721390882413.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO, that is not a flexible cord or cable. Is it one of the cord or cable types mentioned in 400.4?
I agree that is not a flexible cord. If the area above the ceiling is a plenum then that may create other issues with the wall wart.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
All of the access points I've installed are PoE, which solves all of these issues. Even for sites without PoE-capable switches, power injectors could be mounted in the server room or distribution closet.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Note that the OP is talking about extension cords run above the ceiling to plug the wall wart into

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The OP is talking about replacing those extension codes with a proper receptacle (with the WW plugged into that).
That's the way I read it too. Roger is correct that the current installation uses a cord above the ceiling which the OP wants to eliminate.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
OP Are you saying the devices connections are above the grid?
Does that meet the definition of a flexible cord?
Not the intent according to 725. for power limited low voltage class 2 or 3. There are limits related to the construction of the LV cord as to fire/smoke emission of the cord and uses in a plenum for air handling or other plenums.

Can't seen anything in 406 that says you can't have a receptacle above the grid. I wouldn't want to have a receptacle face down for the wall wart to plug into. Weight of wall wart will cause slippage out of the connection with slight pull of the LV cable.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I wouldn't want to have a receptacle face down for the wall wart to plug into. Weight of wall wart will cause slippage out of the connection with slight pull of the LV cable.
Then if it worries you to much you can use something like this.

1721420661486.png