Core size for 1 1/4 rigid aluminum conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
What size core would you drill to pass 1 1/4 aluminum rigid conduit. I looked it up and the OD was 1.66"

I was thinking 1 3/4 or 2". It's a cinder block wall. Looking for some advice. What did you use to seal around the conduit?

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
What size core would you drill to pass 1 1/4 aluminum rigid conduit. I looked it up and the OD was 1.66"

I was thinking 1 3/4 or 2". It's a cinder block wall. Looking for some advice. What did you use to seal around the conduit?

1-3/4" if you can aim well. 2" if not so much. Pack in some fiberglass for backing, and use mortar to seal.

SceneryDriver

JFletcher

2", especially if you are buying the core; 2" could also do 1.5" conduit. What I sealed it with would depend on if it's a rated wall, interior/exterior, hazardous location, etc.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
A 2" core gives you roughly an 1/8: all around the pipe. 2.5" core gives you 3/8" around the pipe. I use nonshrink grout. If you're wet coring the hole, you'll end up with a nice clean hole, so I'd use a 2.5" core just to have some space around the pipe to pack the grout in. If you dry core it, you usually end up with somewhat of a blowout or rough edge hole even if you hit it from both sides so you could use a 2" core and still have room to pack some grout in the hole it leaves behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.