CORING/HAMMER DRILL WALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

I usually hammer drill brick and block but had no choice but to core these. They averaged 4'-6" thick.

6522474.jpg

renosteinke

The decision is based upon the material being drilled, the location, and the cleanliness requirements.

Concrete walls are often core drilled. One reason is the desire for a neat hole, and another is the presence of rebar.

Even with block, any hole over 5/8" can usually be done better with a core bit on the rotohammer, rather than just a simple bit.

By the time you've reached 2" holes, there's just too much commotion made, and a core drill is called for.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The decision is based upon the material being drilled, the location, and the cleanliness requirements.

Concrete walls are often core drilled. One reason is the desire for a neat hole, and another is the presence of rebar.

Even with block, any hole over 5/8" can usually be done better with a core bit on the rotohammer, rather than just a simple bit.

By the time you've reached 2" holes, there's just too much commotion made, and a core drill is called for.

Got it!!! Thanks.

iMuse97

You're probably already on to other jobs, but I horizontal-cored for 2" pipe through 14" thick hardened, rebarred, concrete vessel, in blazing heat under hot sun and no wind in a valley, in a hole, with an average bits and a hand-held machine (nothing to mount it to), me bent over the thing in the bottom of said hole: it took all day.

I told the estimator it is what it is--nicely.

There has rarely been a day I didn't want to go to work, but the next day was one of them. I went anyway.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks

You're probably already on to other jobs, but I horizontal-cored for 2" pipe through 14" thick hardened, rebarred, concrete vessel, in blazing heat under hot sun and no wind in a valley, in a hole, with an average bits and a hand-held machine (nothing to mount it to), me bent over the thing in the bottom of said hole: it took all day.

I told the estimator it is what it is--nicely.

There has rarely been a day I didn't want to go to work, but the next day was one of them. I went anyway.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

A guy told me a story once. His boss called him in to his office one day and told him about this job that he would be paid time and a half for a weeks work, a bonus for finishing on time, plus a generous per diem. He bit. He drove several hundred miles to the job site.

When he got there, he found that the work involved working inside an old furnace that was shutdown, but still had about 6 inches of oil residue in the bottom where he was working, and more of it coated everything he touched.

A very miserable week. On the bright side, the company replaced all the clothing he had to throw away since it was uncleanable (including his underwear), and all his tools, since they were also uncleanable. They also replaced the upholstery on his front seat and the carpeting in his truck.

He claimed it took him weeks to get the oily residue off his skin and out of his hair.

iMuse97

A guy told me a story once. His boss called him in to his office one day and told him about this job that he would be paid time and a half for a weeks work, a bonus for finishing on time, plus a generous per diem. He bit. He drove several hundred miles to the job site.

When he got there, he found that the work involved working inside an old furnace that was shutdown, but still had about 6 inches of oil residue in the bottom where he was working, and more of it coated everything he touched.

A very miserable week. On the bright side, the company replaced all the clothing he had to throw away since it was uncleanable (including his underwear), and all his tools, since they were also uncleanable. They also replaced the upholstery on his front seat and the carpeting in his truck.

He claimed it took him weeks to get the oily residue off his skin and out of his hair.

ROFL. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.