Corner-grounded delta grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

websparky

I have a new service installation for a pump station. The part I am not sure of is the 480V wye to 208V delta transformer. The secondary will only have one 230V 3 phase pump and nothing else. The 480V side will be grounded in the usual manner. The 230V delta side has me unsure of the code requirements for grounding the system. I think I will need to corner-ground the delta in order to have a ground-fault path for the secondary side. Right? Is there another code compliant choice?

TIA

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Re: Corner-grounded delta grounding

Is your transformer a 208Y/120 or a 240 delta? You mentioned both voltages. If it is 240V delta then grounding one phase (usually B) is optional.

My preference is to ground a phase if the transformer feeds a distribution panel or several different loads. I will usually recommend an ungrounded delta when there is a single load. My choice is based on because of the high probability of troublshooting difficulties encountered in ungrounded systems. I always recommend a ground detection scheme for ungrounded systems.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Seems ungrounded systems are usually used to reduce shut-down of equipment in fault conditions.
Note in the '05 Code, a monitoring systems is required for ungrounded systems.(with exceptions)

websparky

Jim,
Thanks for your reply. The secondary will be 3phase only. This system will be remote to most public and surrounded by a fence. There will be no one present to monitor a detection system and I feel it would be safer to corner-ground the delta for ground-fault puposes. Do you agree?

kiloamp7

Is the 480V. side really going to be a wye connection? Is the 480V. side the primary?
What do you mean about the 480V. side being "grounded in the usual manner"?

Am I missing something here?
Or is it a 480 Delta to 240 Delta?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Another thing to consider is that "special" circuit breakers are required for corner grounded 3 phase systems. For example, see footnote on page 6-2 of Square D Digest 173.

tepres

Originally posted by websparky:
The 480V side will be grounded in the usual manner.
I don't believe you would want to ground the primary (WYE). My understanding is that you would "float" that connection. That is, not connect it to anything because a single phase fault could cause higher reflected fault current on the primary.
Then corner ground your secondary with consideration to Jim's point above.

Status
Not open for further replies.