Corner Tapped Delta

lowbattery

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi, can you please help me understand the Corner tapped delta and its phasor diagram? I'm having trouble understanding the power delivered if let's say only the V(ac) - Line to Line Voltage supplies a load and if only the V(ab) - Line to Ground where the "b" is grounded. Thank you for your help

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
The voltage from any phase to the grounded conductor, Not neutral, but grounded phase conductor is still full system voltage.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming a 480 volt system the voltages would be as shown below. The loads only see the phase to phase voltages so having one phase with zero volts to ground does not cause issues for most loads. Some VFDs and similar equipment do not play well with corner grounded systems.
A-B = 480
B-C= 480
A-C = 480
A-gnd =480
B-gnd = 0
C-gnd = 480

lowbattery

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi, Thank you for your inputs. Sorry for the basic questions. In a wye (primary) - center tapped delta (secondary) the line to line current and phase current is lagging by 30 degrees, what about their voltages? What is their phasor diagram placement?

oldsparky52

Hi, can you please help me understand the Corner tapped delta and its phasor diagram? I'm having trouble understanding the power delivered if let's say only the V(ac) - Line to Line Voltage supplies a load and if only the V(ab) - Line to Ground where the "b" is grounded. Thank you for your help
Hi, Thank you for your inputs. Sorry for the basic questions. In a wye (primary) - center tapped delta (secondary) the line to line current and phase current is lagging by 30 degrees, what about their voltages? What is their phasor diagram placement?
I believe those are two different configurations.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
You said you have a Wye primary with voltage of VAN, VBN, and VCN. What are the vectors and resultant phasor diagram for the primary voltage VAB?

A transformer does not change the phase relationship between voltage and current.

As oldsparky52 said, you have mentioned two different secondary winding configurations. Which one do you have?