Corporate Electrician License ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to see if any of you may be able to point me in the right direction with your expertise?

I have a masters license in the states of Massachusetts and New Hampshire . I am currently working for a company that is interested in growing its repair business into an electrical contracting business. I have been approached on them obtaining my masters license for their corporate license. I believe that I would like to do this but I have read into the states laws and I believe that I should have an attorney that has done this type of work before. I have spoken to 2-3 lawyers and if I have not had a accident at work or want to divorce my wife they seem like they are guessing at what I need (LOL). I also have spoke to a few people in the trade and there is no rule to say what the right compensation for such a transaction would be worth.Do you have a suggestion on a person that I might be able to talk to in the New England area?

ceb58

NH/MAwiring said:
I am looking to see if any of you may be able to point me in the right direction with your expertise?

I have a masters license in the states of Massachusetts and New Hampshire . I am currently working for a company that is interested in growing its repair business into an electrical contracting business. I have been approached on them obtaining my masters license for their corporate license. I believe that I would like to do this but I have read into the states laws and I believe that I should have an attorney that has done this type of work before. I have spoken to 2-3 lawyers and if I have not had a accident at work or want to divorce my wife they seem like they are guessing at what I need (LOL). I also have spoke to a few people in the trade and there is no rule to say what the right compensation for such a transaction would be worth.Do you have a suggestion on a person that I might be able to talk to in the New England area?

I do not know about the state laws but you are on the right track with finding a attorney. You should have a contract drawn up with such things as your compensation for carrying the license, your liability, and the right to have final say on projects pertaining to code issues.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NH/MAwiring said:

I would talk to Bob-- one of the forum moderators-- who goes by the name IWIRE. He owns most of Mass so he may be able to help you.:grin:

Seriously, he probably can but I would like to know where the liability ii in this situation. Do you know? Will others be working under your license without your supervision? I am sure it is done all the time but I would definitely check into those issues.

resistance

No expert on your area, but I can assume your pay would be the same as a master electricians (Pay for Master electricians--depending on commercial or residential--will depend on your area) pay, or a tad bit more. Just my .01 on the topic.

resistance

It is my understanding--as far as liability goes--you are responsible for making sure that all work (before an electrical inspection) is in compliance to code recognized in your area. If it isn't, then you are at fault.

Yet, this is my understanding, and as I said before, i'm not in your area.

I will look him up. I have put a list of stipulations together: I will administer all permits/ over see all work and have final say on how work will be done. But as for liability one state rule is that they make you a corporate office of the company which you must sit on the board and with this brings another of my stipulations that I be covered under there cheifs and officers liability coverage

iwire

Staff member
I am all but certain that in MA the first step would be having your master license changed from your name to the name of the company you would be a part of.

You would be putting your license number on that company, it would be the license number they would be required to post with all their advertising, letter heads, trucks etc. It seems logical to assume you would be at least partially responsible for what they do.

If it was me I would not consider it without talking to an attorney or two.

resistance

NH/MAwiring said:
I will look him up. I have put a list of stipulations together: I will administer all permits/ over see all work and have final say on how work will be done. But as for liability one state rule is that they make you a corporate office of the company which you must sit on the board and with this brings another of my stipulations that I be covered under there cheifs and officers liability coverage

Here (Washington State)you are pretty much [Note: "pretty much" doesn't mean you are--you can be fired, unless you are an owner operator :D] part owner, because an electrical contracting business cannot operate without a designated administrator, or Master Electrician.:

Here are our duties in brief: The designated master electrician or administrator shall
(a) Be a member of the firm or a supervisory employee and shall be available during working hours to carry out the duties of an administrator under this section;

(b) Ensure that all electrical work complies with the electrical installation laws and rules of the state;

(c) Ensure that the proper electrical safety procedures are used;

(d) Ensure that all electrical labels, permits, and licenses required to perform electrical work are used;

(e) See that corrective notices issued by an inspecting authority are complied with; and

(f) Notify the department in writing within ten days if the master electrician or administrator terminates the relationship with the electrical contractor.

(6) The department shall not by rule change the administrator's duties under subsection (5) of this section.
[2006 c 185 § 9; 2002 c 249 § 3; 1996 c 241 § 3; 1988 c 81 § 6; 1986 c 156 § 7; 1983 c 206 § 6; 1975 1st ex.s. c 195 § 3; 1975 1st ex.s. c 92 § 3; 1974 ex.s. c 188 § 4. Formerly RCW 19.28.125.]
Notes:
Severability -- 1975 1st ex.s. c 195; 1975 1st ex.s. c 92: See note following RCW 19.28.041.
Effective date -- Severability -- 1974 ex.s. c 188: See notes following RCW 19.28.041.

Last edited:
The first issue with getting a lawyer is that the ones I have spoken with are at the state web site guessing at what the interupertation of the state law is. They have not had any experience with this procedure

CopperTone

you do need to be an officer of the corporation.
you do need to turn your master license into a corporate license with the state.
you are not responsible for a journeymans negligence unless you instructed him or her on how to install something. you'll hear guys all the time say " you have a license, you figure it out." it isn't because they are jerks, it is because of liability. I'm not saying your company can't get sued, I'm saying if you are worried about losing your master license - it won't happen because someone who works there installed something improperly or not to code.

thats how it works in MA.

you should consult an attorney familiar with corporate licenses.
you should be compensated for their use of your license - how much? that you will need to find out.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
CopperTone said:
you are not responsible for a journeymans negligence unless you instructed him or her on how to install something.

I understand that is one of the rules.

In reality I bet the lawyers go after the company, not individual.

I'm not saying your company can't get sued, I'm saying if you are worried about losing your master license - it won't happen because someone who works there installed something improperly or not to code.

You will be on the hook for issue like ratios, work without permits, even customer satisfaction.

If you look at actions against MA license holders you see people who have had their license suspended for not completing work etc.

tkb

You will have to become an "officer of the company" registered with the attorney general to be able to put your Mass license in the company name.

mkgrady

NH/MAwiring said:
Has anybody had any dealings with a lawyer that is familiar with this type of transaction?

I don't believe you will find a lawyer that comes across this often enough to be familiar with the issue.

Years ago I did exactly what you are comtemplating. You have to be an officer of the corporation. You do not have to be on the board of directors.

You give up your current masters license as you apply for a new masters under the name of the corporation. Permits are pulled under the new masters license for the corporation.

As long as the work is being done legally by licensed journeymen you are shielded from liability. As long as there is no fraud involved and the corporation has liability insurance you should be fine.

If you decide to leave the corporation they will be out of the electrical business once you transfer your masters back to yourself or some other business. The corp will have to come up with a new master.

I would ask the company president for a letter alieving you of any personal liability under all circumstances. This is where you may want to have a lawyer review and or draft a letter for you. Any lawyer could write that letter for you.

As far as what it is worth to the company for you to do this? That depends. It would be different for every circumstance. What are you doing with your masters now? If your not running your own business or getting ready to soon, then your masters is sitting there unused.

If you are going to have very limited management functions and the company is just renting your license you need to charge a premium and you should go out of your way to make sure all work is legit.

If you are going to be involved in management the compensation should be adjusted for your new position but I wouldn't expect a windfall.

You could take this opportunity to learn to become a good manager and your pay could go higher than you ever dreamed if you get lucky and really dig in.

NH/MAwiring said:

You should insist on being a Corporate officer in order to hold a licence. Then Corporate guidelines and rules would guide your responsibility as well as theirs. In other words your would be overseeing the technical implementation and adherence to the licening rules and the Corporation would affrod you the indivdual legal protection as a member of the body Corporate. You would be compensated as a Corporate Officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.