Correct NEC Reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSquirrel

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer (retired/consulting)
I have found numerous webpages that make the following identical statement in regard to sizing the main breaker for a load center:

“As per the NEC, divide the total wattage by 230 to get the total amperage.”

However, I find nothing in the NEC that specifically cites this "230" constant. I suspect that it should be replaced by whatever voltage is supplied to the panel (e.g. 208, 240, etc.) but have no evidence that this is the case. Can someone elaborate on 230 being some NEC-specified constant, vs. whether or not my suspicion is correct?

kwired

Electron manager
NEC load calculations are typically in VA. Which goes one step beyond just watts but also considers power factor of the load.

NEC typically doesn't have any instruction in those calculations to convert to amps for your specific application, rather it is mostly implied, though you will find such conversion in the appendix in the examples. The application can vary on what to use depending on what utilization voltage is.

NEC does consider "nominal voltages" for typically common AC power and lighting systems to be 120, 208, 240, 277, 480, 347 and 600.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
For Article 220 Calculations, 220.5(A) specifics the voltages to be used, so if you are doing a load calculation, you need to use those voltages.
(A) Voltages.
Unless other voltages are specified, for purposes of calculating branch-circuit and feeder loads, nominal system voltages of 120, 120/240, 208Y/120, 240, 347, 480Y/277, 480, 600Y/347, and 600 volts shall be used.

RSquirrel

Occupation
So even though my question produced no specific/direct answers, I will take the composite responses to mean ". . . it (230) should be replaced by whatever voltage is supplied to the panel (e.g. 208, 240, etc.) . . ." Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

kwired

Electron manager
So even though my question produced no specific/direct answers, I will take the composite responses to mean ". . . it (230) should be replaced by whatever voltage is supplied to the panel (e.g. 208, 240, etc.) . . ." Thanks for confirming my suspicion.
For NEC purposes of determining conductor sizes, overcurrent devices and such yes.

For more precision activities and/or troubleshooting issues actual operating voltage can be more important.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Post #3 is pretty specific as to what you would use.

Roger

RSquirrel

Occupation
Roger,
Good point. In looking back at my post, I should've formulated my questions so as to solicit definite yes or no responses. Bottom line, my questions were answered.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I just posted a "Sticky" in this forum to address the voltage ratings issue.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Well before that, for nominal voltages per ANSI.
I’m thinking the 1984 NEC was when 120/240 voltages for 220.1 was used.
ANSI was before NEC
Maybe someone with an 84 edition and an older one can verify

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I’m thinking the 1984 NEC was when 120/240 voltages for 220.1 was used.
ANSI was before NEC
Maybe someone with an 84 edition and an older one can verify
For some reason NFPA doesn't have 1984 on the list for free access editions. 1987 maybe worded a little differently but has same voltages we use today in 220-2. I'm not finding any mention of voltages in 1981 in the first portions of art 220. I did see mentioning of 120, 208 and 240 volts in some the sections while browsing around though.

210-8 and GFCI rules mentions 125 volt receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.