correct way to set up equipment ground in outbuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megunticook

New User
I realize this has been discussed before, I read through many threads and still am not entirely clear.

I have a residence with an outbuilding about 25 feet away from the house. Buried Sch. 40 conduit carries 4 #8 THWN from the main service panel in the house (2-pole 50A breaker) to a subpanel in the shed. The neutral bus bar in the subpanel is NOT bonded to the equipment ground bus bar (a neutral/ground bond already exists at the main service panel in the house).

Originally I bonded the equipment grounding bus bar in the subpanel to the equipment ground bus bar in the main service panel via the green-insulated #8 THWN that runs between the 2 panels. The equipment ground bus bar at the main service panel is bonded to a pair of 8' 5/8" copper ground rods 10 feet apart with #4 bare copper wire.

I hired a licensed electrician to inspect my work and he said everything looked fine EXCEPT that I needed a pair of ground rods at the shed.

So I've installed 2 ground rods there and will bond them to the equipment ground bus bar in the subpanel using #4 bare copper.

Now for the questions: Do I disconnect the EGC running from the equipment ground bus bar in the main service panel to the equipment ground bus bar in the subpanel?

Should the ground rods at the shed be bonded to the ground bars at the house?

Thanks much for your advice.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.