Correcting cabling problem using NEC 300.18(A) exception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
Hey folks,

First time poster to these forums. Thanks for having me and please let me know if there's better forum for this topic.

I am looking for feedback on my planned approach to addressing a cabling issue at a JB. This is a regular 3x2 metal box powering a 110v receptacle, fed from the panel by 12/2 BX (the kind that includes an aluminum bonding wire).

The issue is that the metal sheathing on the cable has been terminated short of the junction box, leaving a 3-4" run of unprotected wires before they enter the JB. This is obviously problematic.

Unfortunately I can't just relocate the JB, as a cable feeding downstream outlets exits the other side, so I would just be moving the problem there. The cabling and box are also chased into finished brickwork so moving anything is kind of awkward.

My current thinking is to enclose the last 6" or so of the run in 1/2" EMT. I would use something like Bridgeport 280SP to transition from BX to EMT, running the conductors inside the EMT, and terminating the EMT to the box using a connector with an insulated throat (e.g. Bridgeport 230-USI). This is not a "complete" run of conduit as required by NEC 300.18 so I would be relying on exception (A) for protecting cables. Presumably the use of listed connectors also maintains a satisfactory grounding path through the various transitions (there is no grounding wire).

Appreciate any guidance folks here may have on this or other suggestions.

Thanks,

Noel

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

I think that your solution is elegant and functional, as long as you have adequate access.

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks guys.

@ActionDave good point. I am hoping press-fit couplers allow assembly in a tight space. Some patching may be required as I will likely need to open the wall up a little.

Am I also required to secure this short length of EMT given 358.30(A)? There is an exception for unbroken concealed lengths but this length isn't unbroken...

Status
Not open for further replies.