Correctional Facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam34

We are working on Juvenile Detention facilities project. I have a question regarding the lighting inside the inmate housing (the cell), Does the light fixture has to be fed from 120V power source? In the past, I have worked on # of correctional facilities and they were all fed from 120V power. is that a requirement by any code??? Thank you in advance...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Correctional Facilities

The most recent correctional facility with which I was involved used 277 volts for most of the lighting. It also used heavy duty (bullet proof) fixtures. Not that the inmates are likely to be shooting bullets at the fixtures, but inmates have been known to break things, just for the fun of it. So we made it hard for them to break the lights.

redfish

In my expierience the voltage varies from 120 to 277, just tamper proof. :)

jimwalker

They should be tamper proof.But other than that i see no problem with voltage.Only worked in a place like that one day,i refused to go back.

jwelectric

Well I have never been on the state side and while incarcerated in the county facility we wasn?t allowed to mess with the lights so I just don?t know. I do know that vanilla extract is not allowed in the kitchen due to the alcohol content.

:D :D :D

sam34

Thanks all for replying, it seems like the 120V is not a requirement from any code. Most likely I'll use the 277V.

charlie tuna

we work in a minimum security prison that also houses state prisoners. the guy who oversee's the state detention areas requires special code restrictions on and above the nec! like gfic protection on all kinds of appliances......... check with your local or state correction department........

charlie tuna

and yes we usually have a tough time convincing them we are outside contractors --- for some reason they make us get a release pass from the main office???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.