corroded water lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

djr363

i have seen a couple of times that a water line which the ground is attached to is pitted and corroded to a point that it ends up with holes and leaking , what causes this ?

pierre

Re: corroded water lines

I watched a show on tv that showed how poor soldering techniques created situations where the copper pipe would eventually corrode over time, on different portions of the pipe, not even necessarily where the soldering took place.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

i have seen a couple of times that a water line which the ground is attached to is pitted and corroded to a point that it ends up with holes and leaking , what causes this ?
Most likely that the type of clamp used was not suitable for use on that type of water pipe.
Don

beanland

Another thing can cause this, getting a DC voltage imposed on the water pipe can cause corrision. Rare but defective electronics can cause this.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

There are individuals and companies out there that point to electrolysis as the source of these problems in water lines. Different techniques of mitigation are offered including an externally applied solution, changing the type of unions used in the piping, dielectric unions, etc. I haven't been following this niche market so don't have any data on the results.

Just wanted to offer an FYI. There is a lot of Google data on electrolysis - both this kind and the hair removal kind.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Beanland, thanks, that is a good comment.
I have a detailed study by the american water works associaiton on corrosion in water lines. Nearly all the time corrosion is due to DC currents, not AC. The DC current can be away or toward the house, If away from the house its removing material from the line.
DC power supples, variable speed fans and etc are the cause. Its most likely to be a problem if you have a metallic underground water service line. Often installing a non metallic pipe section will cure the problem.
Keep in mind if this is an older home the ug water line may be the only grounding electrode, the nm pipe section would have to be installed so that ten feet of ug metallic pipe remain in contact with the earth.

wyatt

I think the tipe corrotion is galvanic we are talking aboult here

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC

Originally posted by djr363:
This could be "Galvanic corrosion", often misnamed "electrolysis," with an uneven distribution of Zinc, or other element that conducts differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.