Cost for engineered plans for big box store tenant improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

donw

Don't know if this is the best forum for this, but here goes.
I've designed other big box stores on the order of 25K s.f., but this one is 80K s.f. It used to be a large clothing store, and will become a flooring store. Air conditioning is existing (although there may be some new or replaced units). Lighting will be all new and must comply with the energy code (relay panel, time clock control). There is an existing emergency generator for emergency lighting. There will be a new store front that will require lighting. Power includes drops to various displays, cash wraps, compactor etc. Of the 80Ks.f., 2600 s.f. is office and 6000s.f. is stock room. Plans will include fire alarm (not detailed, just appliance locations). Plans will be in Autocad, sealed by me (P.E.), and submitted to City of Phoenix.
Anyone hazard a guess for a reasonable fee?

Last edited:

mgookin

For clarification, are you just doing the "E" sheets and there is an architect on the job?
Others are doing floor plans, mechanical & plumbing, life safety & fire protection, etc.?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
How many times will you have to issue the design package, and will you need to undergo a client review each time? I mean will there be a 15%, a 50%, a 95%, a Final, and a "corrected final"? Will you have to pay for printing of paper copies each time for the client's use in reviewing the package? Does this client impose its own design requirements, in addition to what the building codes and the NEC have to say? Will there be periodic design team meetings? Will there be a demolition package, and if so are you accounting for on-site inspections before beginning work? Will you need to issue a complete set of specifications, and if so which version will you be using as your starting point? Do you have to produce calculations? Will you have to perform a 30-day load study in order to determine the existing load?

To answer the one question that you did ask, no, I would not like to hazard a guess. :happyno:

donw

I see some great questions here. I'll be doing only E-sheets--architect will do floorplan and RCP (I think). Other M/P firm will do M/P. I need to place fire alarm appliances and specify the riser, but not detail design. Specs will be my standard. I will supply a demo plan, but it should be simple, since everything inside the space will be gutted except existing SES, transformers and panels. HVAC units on roof will remain. I believe only one client review. I don't think client will impose design requirements, other than location of fixtures. I'll do an on-site inspection to asses the condition of panels and existing HVAC to remain (and obtain electrical load of said HVAC), so no 30-day load study should be required. All plans submitted electronically (pdf)--no printing.

Shoe

I will typically estimate using an estimate of how many days/weeks the effort will take. If I try to break down into too many individual tasks, then the effort seems to balloon beyond what is competitively viable.

I'll often do a cross-check with the total construction cost, factoring in about a 0.9% fee of the total construction cost for just E-documents (this is for a fairly standard building, such as the one you describe but may increase or decrease based on size, complexity, etc.)

The above is only done as a "gut-check". Then you have to factor in who else may be quoting a fee on the project and do another "gut-check". Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.