could have been worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped 1

I am a 13 yr journeyman electrician that managed to cross a hot and neutral in a square d double meter main unit today.( i did not realize the neutral lug was on the left and not in the center).i should have known better but i did not pay attention when i was landing the 350s heading up the riser for the poco,needless to say poco connected and it was not pretty no damage to anythjng and most importantly anyone but i am really disgusted in myself for the mistake. Anyone have any stories to share of anything you may have done, i realize mistakes happen but damn that sucked, needless to say i will surely be paying more attention next time. thanks ahesd for any replies and remember SAFETY FIRST!!!

Cavie

Be there, done that. Had to buy a microwave and an oven. Crossed them in the meter but not in the panel. IF POCO would have checked voltage before they pluged in the meter, they would have found it.You'll only do it once.

kwired

Electron manager
Was there some fireworks when POCO connected it?

Most POCO around here test for continuity between conductors before connecting a service, and check for proper polarity and voltages before putting the meter in if self contained metering.

If no meter they will connect with the service disconnect(s) in the open position and (especially if new install) will not turn the main(s) on but will still verify voltage and polarity before they leave the site. I will not turn the main on without first verifying the voltage and polarity - it is a good habit to get into, mistakes do happen.

kwired

Electron manager
Must have had a pretty good return path someplace like maybe metal water service or a gas pipe?

Hopefully not telephone cable shields or TV cables.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Glad to hear that you and the POCO guys are okay.

One time on a job a journeyman (I was an apprentice) was shoving feeder wires into the riser of an OH service. He didn't mark the neutral. Instead of pulling the wires back out. He just guessed as to which one was the neutral. Boss hooked everything up. Started turning on breakers. Fried a frig, microwave and computer.

I've never thought until now why there weren't any fireworks.

kwired

Electron manager
Glad to hear that you and the POCO guys are okay.

One time on a job a journeyman (I was an apprentice) was shoving feeder wires into the riser of an OH service. He didn't mark the neutral. Instead of pulling the wires back out. He just guessed as to which one was the neutral. Boss hooked everything up. Started turning on breakers. Fried a frig, microwave and computer.

I've never thought until now why there weren't any fireworks.

Grounding electrode does not have low enough impedance to allow enough current to create a lot of fireworks.

If there are low impedance paths to another place that is also connected to the electrical system like the metal water pipe that is also connected at the neighbors house or the TV or phone service cables then you will have a low impedance path.

Status
Not open for further replies.