Coupling

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
They are awesome when you need them. At $1500 a piece, you need to plan out your conduit routing in advance. Dang those thing are pricey.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Rob may teach me something as he often does. I would agree a split coupling but if you are using aluminum due to a corrosive atmosphere a steel split coupling may not work and I am unaware of aluminum split couplings.

You are aware you only need a split coupling or 3 piece coupling where you are unable to simply screw the pipe into a standard coupling.
Many jobs never require them.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Rob may teach me something as he often does. I would agree a split coupling but if you are using aluminum due to a corrosive atmosphere a steel split coupling may not work and I am unaware of aluminum split couplings.

You are aware you only need a split coupling or 3 piece coupling where you are unable to simply screw the pipe into a standard coupling.
Many jobs never require them.
Ah..thank you. Why would you not be able to screw the pipe into a standard coupling? I assume this would entail having an elbow as that would not being able to spin it on?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ah..thank you. Why would you not be able to screw the pipe into a standard coupling? I assume this would entail having an elbow as that would not being able to spin it on?
As I described, one reason is to make the final connection between new and existing conduits.

I built this from the top down. These are the only Ericksons in the entire installation:

160429_001.jpg

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just for context, this is coming down from a rooftop cellular site. Look in the upper center of the first pic.

The building owner was thrilled about my suggestion to use the old service conduits instead of coming down to ground level and making new wall penetrations. (So was I! I saved many hours and many dollars!)

You can just see the open C-condulets in the zig-zags I made to align the new conduits with the existing:

160429_005.jpg

160429_002.jpg
160429_003.jpg
160429_001.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
And no, they shouldn't cost that much. Here's some at $56 apiece with shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124524924974

This seller has some interesting other items for sale.

I just looked it up and said that has to be a misprint. I was ready to post then I read Larry's post. No way something like that can cost $1500.

I suspect that was suppose to be per 1000 not per 100. Even that is too high

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
As I described, one reason is to make the final connection between new and existing conduits.

I built this from the top down. These are the only Ericksons in the entire installation:

View attachment 2572258
Once those conduit entered the egress staircase they became a violation of life safety code NFPA 101 Section 7.1.3.2.1(10)(b) prohibits “conduit” in or on a fire egress tower. Surprised it wasn't called out.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Once those conduit entered the egress staircase they became a violation of life safety code NFPA 101 Section 7.1.3.2.1(10)(b) prohibits “conduit” in or on a fire egress tower. Surprised it wasn't called out.
No, it didn't come up at all. The old conduits were already there, with the old weather-heads still on and the old copper wires in them.

If you look at it from the bottom, I effectively steered the conduits out of the fire-escape space immediately after joining onto them.