Coupling????

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Fighting for a change order with GC. Regarding LABOR ONLY for the couplings We are going from SS to comp. They are saying nthere is no labor differecne using a SS Kwik Fit compare to comp. If your familiar with these intergral coupling do you think it would be the same labor to tighten?

[/URL]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Having installed both types on 4" I can tell you that you'll be spitting blood with the compression type. Now whether or not you're entitled to money is another story but they (compression) are harder to tighten and more time consuming. Set screw can be tightened in seconds with an impact gun. You cannot say the same thing for compression. Why anyone would specify compression is beyond me.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Having installed both types on 4" I can tell you that you'll be spitting blood with the compression type. Now whether or not you're entitled to money is another story but they (compression) are harder to tighten and more time consuming. Set screw can be tightened in seconds with an impact gun. You cannot say the same thing for compression. Why anyone would specify compression is beyond me.
Thanks sooooo much. So I do have an argument that even with it being integral coupling the compression would take longer ??????

Why spitting blood? A bitch to tighten?

Why do you think compression being specified over set screw is bad?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why spitting blood? A bitch to tighten?

Why do you think compression being specified over set screw is bad?
Because they're horrible to work with. Often the ring on the inside gets caught on the end of the EMT when you insert it and you have to take the coupling apart and try to reassemble it. Then there's the issue of tightening. You'll need with large #480 Channelocks (2) or a chain wrenchs. When the EMT's are spaced close together say 1.5" spacing like on a normal instillation it's difficult to get the tools around the coupling. Compare that to literally seconds to tightened two set screws with an impact gun. Engineers seem to think that they're better but the truth is that often the couplings aren't even tight.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Because they're horrible to work with. Often the ring on the inside gets caught on the end of the EMT when you insert it and you have to take the coupling apart and try to reassemble it. Then there's the issue of tightening. You'll need with large #480 Channelocks (2) or a chain wrenchs. When the EMT's are spaced close together say 1.5" spacing like on a normal instillation it's difficult to get the tools around the coupling. Compare that to literally seconds to tightened two set screws with an impact gun. Engineers seem to think that they're better but the truth is that often the couplings aren't even tight.
Thanks a lot.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Years ago we were doing an O.R. suite in a hospital and the engineer specked set screw fittings when most others always wanted compression. I asked why he was allowing SS, he said he had a lot more confidence that SS would be properly tightened whereas compression was questionable in tight hard to get to areas which was/is the way I have always felt.
He was a top notch designer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
he said he had a lot more confidence that SS would be properly tightened whereas compression was questionable in tight hard to get to areas which was/is the way I have always felt.
From installing thousands of both types I can tell you that's true. Also a few decades ago after an earthquake in California they found that only steel set screw fitting survived the earthquake. Compression fittings came apart and die cast set screw broke.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
GC is saying you don't have to tighten integral couplings. Or at least it would required 1 less step for tightening a compression as one side is already on the conduit and tightened????

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
GC is saying you don't have to tighten integral couplings. Or at least it would required 1 less step for tightening a compression as one side is already on the conduit and tightened????
That's true but it still far more difficult than tightening a set screw. Also it is a times necessary to hold the EMT from turning while you tighten so that requires two tools.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Who's going to pay for the additional conduit required to make use of them?