covering of exposed bulbs in light fixtues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

Where can I find information about the installation of light fixtures? For example. There is a building apartment, with fluorescent fixtures illuminating the hallways. There are some uncovered fixtures and some wrap around covers.. Is there any building code for this installations?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It would not be in the NEC. The only code I know about that requires lens for fluorescents is in food prep area but that is a health code. I don't see why it would be a requirement in your situation.

broadgage

If the fixtures are INTENDED to be covered or enclosed but the covers have been lost or broken, then that might well be a violation as it could be argued that the equipment is damaged or defective.

If however the fixtures are intended to have the lamps exposed and were sold like that, and are UL or equivalent listed, then I see no problem.

darekelec

One time i heard that building code does not allow exposed florescent tubes in residential due to breakage and mercury release.

kwired

Electron manager
One time i heard that building code does not allow exposed florescent tubes in residential due to breakage and mercury release.
I used to play with mercury out of thermometers back when I was only 10-12 years old and have also been exposed to many lamp breakages that contained mercury. According to the experts I should have died over 50 years ago - even though I am only 45:roll:

Throw in my exposure to lead, cigarette smoke, asbestos, and many other things and I probably should have died several hundred years ago.

iwire

Staff member
I used to play with mercury out of thermometers back when I was only 10-12 years old and have also been exposed to many lamp breakages that contained mercury. According to the experts I should have died over 50 years ago - even though I am only 45:roll:

Throw in my exposure to lead, cigarette smoke, asbestos, and many other things and I probably should have died several hundred years ago.

Yeah, and people did not wear seat belts, or bike helmets, they played football without any gear, electrical equipment was 'live front' etc. So I never understand posts like that, the fact remains regardless of our own personal experience the numbers prove all of those to more likely to cause injury.

As far as the OP in my area there is no such rule for dwelling units, as Dennis said there are rules for commercial food areas.

kwired

Electron manager
It seems that in my area is more a design issue. I have seen a new CBS pharmacy with exposed fluorescent bulbs

It is not much concern to NEC in most instances. NEC does require covered lamps in some instances, usually for incandescent lamps that may be in proximity to combustible material.

Most of the time when it is required to have covered lamps is not NEC required but is required by other health/safety codes. In particular at food handling areas, they don't want the risk of a broken lamp contaminating the food product. Sometimes they take that rule to some extremes IMO. A plant I do work for that handles food grade products has a third party inspection company that requires lamp protection essentially everywhere. Any fixtures with exposed lamps whether by design or missing or broken covers they want to see coated lamps installed for containment of a broken lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.