crazy cable problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

went to a local bar to cut in a receptacle for a new TV. When I got finished the owner asked me about another problem he was having. When he turns of a 3 pole breaker to an AC unit all of the TV's get fuzzy for a second or two and the all but two clear up. When you turn the breaker back on they all clear up. I checked all grounding neutrals etc. and found no problems any thought would be appriciated

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The only thing I can think of is that he has a signal distribution amp for multiple TV's on the same signal source. The amp then automatically goes into splitter [i.e. bypass] mode when powered down. This would explain temporary fuzzy reception for a second or two while the internal power cap's discharge, and after bypass mode kicks in, two TV's remain fuzzy because their signal runs through a regular [unamplified] splitter...

..but that would mean the distribution amp is power by the AC circuit...!!!

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Did you have anything to drink while at the bar ???:D

Seriously though, re-check the grounding - at the main breaker panel - at the water main and at the CATV D-mark and make sure they are properly grounded. With your VOM on the lowest voltage scale measure to see if there is any voltage between the ground at the CATV D-mark and actual ground (even if your ground reference is at the electric service meter housing or ground rod). If there is any voltage present at all it should be less than 1 VAC. If there is more than 1 VAC then it should have better grounding.

The only other thing I can think of is that there may be a video amplifier plugged into a receptacle off the load end of one phase of the 3-pole breaker causing the interference or reduction in video signal.

ultramegabob

bars have some of the nastiest wiring, mainly because the owners are usually tightwads that like to have customers do thier repair work in exchange for beer...

ultramegabob

I sat a tail panel in a bar to serve the stage where they have bands play, about a year later, I saw where someone had added a recept to the outside fed from that tailpanel, they bored from the inside out and blew out a big chunk of limestone on the front oustside of the building, and then ran m.c. cable out to a 4 square box with 2 duplex recepts mounted on a mudring with no coverplate.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
ultramegabob said:
bars have some of the nastiest wiring, mainly because the owners are usually tightwads that like to have customers do thier repair work in exchange for beer...
They no doubt get "paid" before doing the work, too.

aline

Electrical panel in a bar. You should see the attic.

ITEPanel1.jpg

ITEPanel2.jpg

Last edited:

aline

Most of the single pole breakers in the panel pictured above are 30 amp breakers. The 20 amp breakers kept tripping. You should see the attic.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
ultramegabob said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I once did a freebe for a strip joint. There were some good bennies.:wink:

aline

masterinbama said:
is that a #10 sow cable leaving the panel?
Yes it is #10 sow cable. This panel also has emt, aluminum flex, liquid tight flex, mc cable and romex cable ran to it. Whatever was laying in the back of their pickup truck got used. Too bad they didn't have any connectors.

When they kept adding more and more stuff on the circuits and the 20amp breakers started tripping from overload they just upped the breakers to 30amps and kept adding more load. I measured over 25 amps on a lot of these circuits.

When they called they said they had smoke comming out of one of the switches that someone at the bar tried to replace. I took photos and wrote up a nice letter stateing what a disaster and fire hazard all this stuff was and had the manager sign a copy of the letter and the photos. I told him he needs to rip everything out and start over with the wiring. The place used to be a restuarant and was converted to a bar. He also told me some employees have complained about being shocked.

76nemo

aline said:
Yes it is #10 sow cable. This panel also has emt, aluminum flex, liquid tight flex, mc cable and romex cable ran to it. Whatever was laying in the back of their pickup truck got used. Too bad they didn't have any connectors.

When they kept adding more and more stuff on the circuits and the 20amp breakers started tripping from overload they just upped the breakers to 30amps and kept adding more load. I measured over 25 amps on a lot of these circuits.

When they called they said they had smoke comming out of one of the switches that someone at the bar tried to replace. I took photos and wrote up a nice letter stateing what a disaster and fire hazard all this stuff was and had the manager sign a copy of the letter and the photos. I told him he needs to rip everything out and start over with the wiring. The place used to be a restuarant and was converted to a bar. He also told me some employees have complained about being shocked.

They up'd the ante to 30A'ers and left #12 HR's??? Is this panel exposed or recessed? Is the place still this way? Do they make a BX/SO/NM connector these days? I must live a sheltered life:rolleyes:

aline

76nemo said:
They up'd the ante to 30A'ers and left #12 HR's??? Is this panel exposed or recessed? Is the place still this way? Do they make a BX/SO/NM connector these days? I must live a sheltered life:rolleyes:
Yes they left #12 HR's. This panel is recessed and there are three others just like it. One panel is empty and just has the feeder wires run to it but they're not hot. They were never connected to a breaker on the other end. Yes it's still this way as far as I know. He told me he didn't have the money to rewire this place because he had just spent a bundle on getting a new roof put on and updating his cash register system. He said he also can't afford to have the place shut down while it's rewired.

76nemo

aline said:
Yes they left #12 HR's. This panel is recessed and there are three others just like it. One panel is empty and just has the feeder wires run to it but they're not hot. They were never connected to a breaker on the other end. Yes it's still this way as far as I know. He told me he didn't have the money to rewire this place because he had just spent a bundle on getting a new roof put on and updating his cash register system. He said he also can't afford to have the place shut down while it's rewired.

For sheeets and giggles, fuse the HR's for 20A's and await the service calls:grin: :rolleyes: :wink: :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
yanici said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I once did a freebe for a strip joint. There were some good bennies.:wink:
Did you get many tips? :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.