Crew - job objective/overview meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

I?m getting ready to start a small fast tracker with sudo known workers coming in to do the work, I will be a working foreman, frankly they were on the last crew, and I just never worked with individually with any of them.
I do have some knowledge of them.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts of what might be said by me, about what might be expected and to be expected of them.

I feel like Patton, I want to imply:
?That I don?t like to cover the same real estate twice??, Granted it was in a Movie and he might not have said it, but it stuck, oh shucks...

I realize that most might work with the same crew or various combinations of crews from time to time. I?ve composed some thoughts on this matter and basically it will be my safety meeting for Monday morning. That safety most be maintained and desired production technic's, etc, etc,
This is a small job and basically a service upfit and in MC.
I?ll release my thoughts in PM if you want to read it.

Frankly, I?m wondering if you have a job objective/overview meeting at the start of each new one and a new crew? I also realize that different companies have differnet styles and management policies, I'm still just wondering what happens in your world, to this aspect.

Thanks in advance for any constructive idea's :)

76nemo

cadpoint said:
I?m getting ready to start a small fast tracker with sudo known workers coming in to do the work, I will be a working foreman, frankly they were on the last crew, and I just never worked with individually with any of them.
I do have some knowledge of them.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts of what might be said by me, about what might be expected and to be expected of them.

I feel like Patton, I want to imply:
?That I don?t like to cover the same real estate twice??, Granted it was in a Movie and he might not have said it, but it stuck, oh shucks...

I realize that most might work with the same crew or various combinations of crews from time to time. I?ve composed some thoughts on this matter and basically it will be my safety meeting for Monday morning. That safety most be maintained and desired production technic's, etc, etc,
This is a small job and basically a service upfit and in MC.
I?ll release my thoughts in PM if you want to read it.

Frankly, I?m wondering if you have a job objective/overview meeting at the start of each new one and a new crew? I also realize that different companies have differnet styles and management policies, I'm still just wondering what happens in your world, to this aspect.

Thanks in advance for any constructive idea's :)

I'd like to read it. It's hard to give an opinion on something I can't see or read Cad. I wouldn't think the moderator's would have problem with it being posted if it wasn't TOO lengthy.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Your record of signatures & training, after making sure they understand what code issues were covered, may best satisfy liability coverages. IMO Anything else is not advisable.

cadpoint

76nemo said:
I'd like to read it. It's hard to give an opinion on something I can't see or read Cad. I wouldn't think the moderator's would have problem with it being posted if it wasn't TOO lengthy.
You might well be right in all respects. But maybe I'm looking for more verbage to add to my list.

We are coming off of a large (jumbo) job where people and things tend to be hiding, and not just this past job...
I've seen a lot of this go on, most know of my style of work, for better or worst in thier eyes.

Again any helpful hints of safety and production methods other than PPE and using a story pole would be gladly appreciated.
I don't want this job run like the last big one, its not the same, things will be different, I just wanted to point that out and go forward.

Point taken Ramsy, Thank You.
I believe I will add direct articles references to the MC code articles, I did already mention correct securing lengths. I've already spoted faults of an install that will need to be corrected done by a filler crew...
UGH, I'm in the Game ...

Alright everybody, do you have your coffee and donut? Okay, good, I want to start out with our schedule, we are going to have X, Y and Z done by Wednesday, and A, B, and C done by Friday. I know it's a tight schedule, but we can do. We won't have time to do it twice, so do right the first time. Other than that, be safe. If you get in an accident because you aren't wearing PPE or using safe methods, I won't sign your workers comp forms. Any questions?

(This of course assumes that it's a morning meeting, and that you are bringing coffee and donuts.)

(If you stop at Tim Horton's on the way in to work, they have a nice large cardboard box that doubles as a coffee carafe. Or used to, at least.):grin:

ItsHot

short and simple

short and simple

Keep it short and simple! Let them know what you expect, give opportunity for questions, see that everyone is on the same page and set your schedule. And as Danz said "keep it safe"!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For a new job with a new crew we would have a safety/job meeting when the job begins. At that time we would outline anything out of the ordinary regarding the installation (i.e.-separate neutrals, all conduit, 3/4" minimum conduit size, all #10 conductors etc.). We would also mention the safety issues that may come up regarding hard hats, safety harnesses, safety glasses, gfci protection etc. Rounding out the meeting we would discuss the basic job rules regarding starting time, lunch, quiting times and most importantly, where the bathrooms for the worker are located.;)

So in answer to your question, yes we would always have some sort of "meeting" at the beginning of the job. Even if it was just an informal discussion.

iwire

Staff member
Don't forget to let the crew know where your MSDS sheets are and make sure they are there.

You do have your MSDS sheets on the job right?

Basic OSHA question if they show up.

Oh, yeah...be prepared for the man boobs comparison. It goes like this..."He's like man boobs, doesn't really do anything but takes up space.". Some people seem to believe that just because you aren't holding a screw driver or hammer every day, or that you're not on the job site all the time means you don't really do anything or aren't productive.

I heard this complaint come from one of the guys in our cabinet shop. I didn't feel like telling him that *name withheld*'s job wasn't to manage the shop, it was to GC/project manage the jobs, which included making sure the cabinets got made on time and that all the supplies they needed were on hand...:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.