Critical Care and Life Safety in same box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flex

Im doin work at a hospital nearby. The drawings call for 2 lights in the bathroom switched from one switch box. One light is life safety ckt the other light is a critical branch ckt. Can they both be in the same box? If so do we need a divider?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
See 314.28(D) and I question why a Life Safety circuit is being switched at all.

Roger

Flex

It is a shower light. I dont know why it would be life safety theres a 2x2 right outside the shower that is critical. I think that should be life safety and the shower light a normal power.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You could, but back to the Life Safety Branch being used in this location.
517.32 Life Safety Branch

No function other than those listed in 517.32(A) through 517.32(G) shall be connected to the life safety branch. The life safety branch of the emergency system shall supply power for the following lighting, receptacles, and equipment.

(A) Illumination of Means of Egress Illumination of means of egress, such as lighting required for corridors, passageways, stairways, and landings at exit doors, and all necessary ways of approach to exits. Switching arrangements to transfer patient corridor lighting in hospitals from general illumination circuits to night illumination circuits shall be permitted, provided only one of two circuits can be selected and both circuits cannot be extinguished at the same time.

FPN: See NFPA 101-2003, Life Safety Code, Sections 7.8 and 7.9.

(B) Exit Signs Exit signs and exit directional signs.

FPN: See NFPA 101-2003, Life Safety Code, Section 7.10.

(C) Alarm and Alerting Systems Alarm and alerting systems including the following:

(1) Fire alarms

FPN: See NFPA 101-2003, Life Safety Code, Section 9.6 and 18.3.4.

(2) Alarms required for systems used for the piping of nonflammable medical gases

FPN: See NFPA 99-2002, Standard for Health Care Facilities, 4.4.2.2.2.2(3).

(D) Communications Systems Hospital communications systems, where used for issuing instructions during emergency conditions.

(E) Generator Set Location Task illumination battery charger for emergency battery-powered lighting unit(s) and selected receptacles at the generator set location.

(F) Elevators Elevator cab lighting, control, communications, and signal systems.

(G) Automatic Doors Automatically operated doors used for building egress. [NFPA 99:4.4.2.2.2.2]

I don't see the Life Safety Branch being allowed for use in this space.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.