Critical Failure

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
For an interconnected solar system. I have 5 parallel feeders from the farm to the disconnect ran about 525ft . The system is 1200amp we used 5 -500 aluminum conductors and combined them using IPLD-500-10 “Polaris” lug and stepped out to the disco with 4-400 coppers to the disconnect. This weekend the Polaris connectors failed and the phase an and phase b made contact faulting the system.
We have torqued tested the Polaris lugs and the torque value is 450in/lbs and we didn’t find an issue. What else could have caused this issue?
The only conductors showing damage are the aluminum conductors

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No sir. Is it best practice to stagger between ports?
Absolutely. That way the cross-section of the bar doesn't have to carry the total current in one place.

Staggering or alternating conductors spreads the current out among the sections between the ports.

Like interlacing your fingers. I can't ind a better pic. Like this, continue the pattern in, out, in, out, etc.

1718823702007.jpeg

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the staggering of the conductors is necessary, it should be in the installation instructions for the connector. I did not see that in the instructions for this part number, but have seen it instructions for other power distribution blocks.
However, I agree with Larry that it is a good practice.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)