Crouse Hinds breaker compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Customer's panel (Crouse Hinds) label says Cr. Hinds or Bryant BR or Westinghouse breakers allowed. A supply house tells me Eaton BR will be accepted by any inspector. I'm not so sure. I think some inspectors say only the brands listed on the panel label are accepted. I never want to install a breaker that a home inspector flags when they try to sell their house and I have to do a call back. Is this salesman correct ?

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Customer's panel (Crouse Hinds) label says Cr. Hinds or Bryant BR or Westinghouse breakers allowed. A supply house tells me Eaton BR will be accepted by any inspector. I'm not so sure. I think some inspectors say only the brands listed on the panel label are accepted. I never want to install a breaker that a home inspector flags when they try to sell their house and I have to do a call back. Is this salesman correct ?
They need to be classified. Standard BR breakers are not classified. The classified ones say CL on them.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

DrSparks

Occupation

DrSparks

Occupation
From Eaton's site:

Eaton's UL classified breakers are designed and tested to be both mechanically and electrically interchangeable with circuit breakers manufactured by General Electric, Thomas & Betts, ITE/Siemens, Murray, Crouse-Hinds, and Square D.

Todd0x1

DrSparks

Occupation
Wait, your panel label says BR breakers allowed?

I didn't catch that sorry.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
ok, I just get cold feet when the label only list 3 brands that I can't buy. (or maybe I can buy on line) I realize Eaton bought out these etc. But it seems I've had an elec inspector in the past be really strict and only allowed the brands on the label. I could call this county electrical inspector tomorrow. Thank you all.

DrSparks

Occupation
ok, I just get cold feet when the label only list 3 brands that I can't buy. (or maybe I can buy on line) I realize Eaton bought out these etc. But it seems I've had an elec inspector in the past be really strict and only allowed the brands on the label. I could call this county electrical inspector tomorrow. Thank you all.
Sometimes inspectors need to be educated. Bring a printout of the UL specs to show him

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Try getting a ITT Bulldog Pushmatic, if the inspector is that picky. Connecticut Electric is mfg a replacement for Pushmatic, would that be allowed? It's not ITT Bulldog. I don't see it any different than Crouse Hinds.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But it seems I've had an elec inspector in the past be really strict and only allowed the brands on the label.
The requirement is for an approved breaker type, not brand.

The panel accepts BR breakers regardless of who makes them.

Notice your own opening posts mentions several manufacturers.

kwired

Electron manager
Eaton had not yet acquired that line at the time the panel was made therefore they are not mentioned on the label. The Crouse Hinds, and Westinghouse versions basically do not exist other than old products, Eaton took over the line and still makes new product for that line.

norcal

I’m
Try getting a ITT Bulldog Pushmatic, if the inspector is that picky. Connecticut Electric is mfg a replacement for Pushmatic, would that be allowed? It's not ITT Bulldog. I don't see it any different than Crouse Hinds.
It’s ITE Bulldog, the Connecticut Electric products are UL classified for Pushmatic panels.

kwired

Electron manager
I’m

It’s ITE Bulldog, the Connecticut Electric products are UL classified for Pushmatic panels.
I believe the name Bulldog was original maker of this product line, ITE eventually acquired it, Siemens acquired ITE but AFAIK discontinued making products for that line, possible even was discontinued when ITE still existed.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The requirement is for an approved breaker type, not brand.

The panel accepts BR breakers regardless of who makes them.

Notice your own opening posts mentions several manufacturers.
Yes. the Eaton BR breakers ARE the old Westinghouse / Bryant BR breakers. They are not "like' them or "Classified" to work in their place, they are the exact same breakers, same UL file numbers and everything. The only thing that changed when Eaton bought that division of Westinghouse was the company cashing the checks when you buy them.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes. the Eaton BR breakers ARE the old Westinghouse / Bryant BR breakers. They are not "like' them or "Classified" to work in their place, they are the exact same breakers, same UL file numbers and everything. The only thing that changed when Eaton bought that division of Westinghouse was the company cashing the checks when you buy them.
Most cases whoever cashes the checks when some distributor buys them ;)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Crouse Hinds = Murray/Siemens.

When the old Murray line was purchased by Crouse Hinds they renamed it to Crouse Hinds. It was my main line for a couple years. When Siemens purchased the line they changed the name back to Murray and kept it as a separate line from there Siemens line. Everything was the same but which label got stuck on during assembly. Recently Siemens decided to drop the Murry branding and just have Siemens .

So installing a Siemens breaker in a Crouse Hinds panel would be the Listed option.

Status
Not open for further replies.