Crouse-Hinds Load Center breaker replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyf1963

Occupation
technician
Hi All,

What available circuit breakers would be accepted replacements for the Crouse Hinds load center - picture of label is attached below.

From a 2002 UL letter (this forum) it looks like a Crouse Hinds MP breaker can be replaced by Murray Type MP-T.

Another UL letter posted here states that a Crouse Hinds Type MH-T breaker produced by Siemens is suitable for use in panels where Type MM breakers are specified. Would the still in stock Murray Type MH-T be accepted?

Thanks for any help,
Jim

link to better label picture
1993 Letter
2002 Letter

00-wLROFXf1yQj70WozaBtw87rDrQaVxFHDyHnimaUk2Qyxnn2H3SFQhTzOp6qITTxqldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Don't need to see the letters. My go-to breaker for Crouse-Hinds would be BR breakers.

Remember, breakers are differentiated by type, not necessarily by manufacturer.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Don't need to see the letters. My go-to breaker for Crouse-Hinds would be BR breakers.

That panel label doesn't list BR as far as I can tell, the writing is sort of distorted. I always use Siemens or Murray and those are listed on the label.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC

Unless that un-readable label actually allows Type BR, it would be Siemens, according to master curt swartz.

10-08-03, 07:53 PM #4 curt swartz
Re: Circuit Breaker Compatibility
Crouse Hinds distribution equipment was renamed back to Murray when Siemens acquired the line. Murray breakers with the same part number can be used in Crouse Hinds equipment. Crouse Hinds equipment was named Murray before it was Crouse Hinds.

Cutler-Hammer acquired the Westinghouse distribution line which included Challenger. A Cutler-Hammer BR circuit breaker is the replacement for Westinghouse (Bryant) BR circuit breakers and Challenger C breakers. If you look at a BR breaker you will notice that it has both the Westinghouse and Challenger part numbers on it.
Curt Swartz
Electrical Contractor

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That panel label doesn't list BR as far as I can tell, the writing is sort of distorted. I always use Siemens or Murray and those are listed on the label.
Unless that un-readable label actually allows Type BR, it would be Siemens, according to master curt swartz.
It does. I've been here too long to post something like this without being sure. ;)

Look in the second line of #2, Bryant types, to the left of the Westinghouse "W" circle:

1655776491786.png

jimmyf1963

Occupation
technician
Sorry about the image. Thought I needed to upload pictures and attachments through links. Should have at least tried copy and paste.

Was told the condominium this is from was built in 1981. Will go with the Eaton BR line.

Thanks to all for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.