Crouse- Hinds main

John165

Occupation
Journeyman
We have a client that has an old Crouse-Hinds panel, with a 100 main breaker that needs to be replaced. Does any know what I can use to replace it? This is an older women who cannot afford to have the panel replaced, even with the discounts we can give here.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Murray became Crouse-Hinds then Siemens purchased the Crouse-Hinds line and renamed it back to Murray. They marked both Siemens and Murray lines even though they were exactly the same with different labels then eventually dropped the Murray name.

Siemens Q2100 (10K) or Q2100H (22K) is the direct replacement if this is a standard 2" wide 2-pole breaker.

Is the breaker defective or did the buss to breaker connection burn up? If the buss is damaged do not replace the breaker.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'll keep repeating this over and over ...

Brand does matter. The marked breaker type and model are what matters.

What does the breaker say it is on its label, or what does the panel label say to use as a main? Search the web for the model number and you can use any breaker with that model. New ones (unless new old stock) will be branded Siemens.

I second Curts advice not to replace if the bus is damaged. It will just happen again.

John165

Occupation
Journeyman
I'll keep repeating this over and over ...

Brand does matter. The marked breaker type and model are what matters.

What does the breaker say it is on its label, or what does the panel label say to use as a main? Search the web for the model number and you can use any breaker with that model. New ones (unless new old stock) will be branded Siemens.

I second Curts advice not to replace if the bus is damaged. It will just happen again.
Thanks, buss is not damaged. So I'm going to go with Siemens.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I had a Crouse Hinds main burn up and also damaged the bus. I bought a Murray panel and just replaced the guts. All I had to do was drill a couple of holes in the cabinet frame so the cover could be screwed on.