Crouse Hinds max rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

darunedefig

Occupation
Electrician
Just going off this thread:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=123792

Since I came across said panel I thought I would post a picture.
Ratings: 125A MAXIMUM - SEE MAIN BREAKER RATING, but has a 200A Main Breaker.
The language on this label seems contradictory to me.

<quote>A customer of mine, has a 200 amp Crouse-Hinds main breaker panel which was flagged by a home inspector for having a 125 main amp max rating. They are saying the main breaker is oversized! Everything is original. The 200 amp main is original, the panel is original and I feel like the sticker on the door that says 125amp mex rating is just a factory mislabel. Can anyone verify this instance? Thanks.</quote>

crousehinds.jpg
click to enlarge
crousehinds2.jpg

mwm1752

It is confusing -- I would error to the side of caution prior to investigation -- crouse hines would be able to verify load max -- This would bring up questions on a solar installation because IMO there is no room for a PV circuit if the buss is rated at 125A. you would have to lower the main to 100 amps.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just going off this thread:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=123792

Since I came across said panel I thought I would post a picture.
Ratings: 125A MAXIMUM - SEE MAIN BREAKER RATING, but has a 200A Main Breaker.
The language on this label seems contradictory to me.

<quote>A customer of mine, has a 200 amp Crouse-Hinds main breaker panel which was flagged by a home inspector for having a 125 main amp max rating. They are saying the main breaker is oversized! Everything is original. The 200 amp main is original, the panel is original and I feel like the sticker on the door that says 125amp mex rating is just a factory mislabel. Can anyone verify this instance? Thanks.</quote>

View attachment 12459
click to enlarge
View attachment 12460
He (and you) are misinterpreting that label. It does NOT say that the MAIN breaker is 125A max, they are referring to the BRANCH breakers. The main breakers are 150 or 200A, depending on the catalog number that was used.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
He (and you) are misinterpreting that label. It does NOT say that the MAIN breaker is 125A max, they are referring to the BRANCH breakers. The main breakers are 150 or 200A, depending on the catalog number that was used.

I will agree. Many a time the MFGR lists the max branch breaker.
Always need to check that.

mwm1752

He (and you) are misinterpreting that label. It does NOT say that the MAIN breaker is 125A max, they are referring to the BRANCH breakers. The main breakers are 150 or 200A, depending on the catalog number that was used.[

Nice follow up makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.