Crouse Hinds

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

A customer of mine, has a 200 amp Crouse-Hinds main breaker panel which was flagged by a home inspector for having a 125 main amp max rating. They are saying the main breaker is oversized! Everything is original. The 200 amp main is original, the panel is original and I feel like the sticker on the door that says 125amp mex rating is just a factory mislabel. Can anyone verify this instance? Thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Chris, the 125a limit is likely the maximum load breaker that can be installed, i.e., the max current one (pair of) bus stab(s) can carry.

Does the panel label state the panel rating itself, that it's a 200a panel, anywhere? Remember that a home inspector only gives non-binding opinions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Larry the 125 amp maximum is probably not for the main breaker. A photo of the nameplate would be helpful. :)

Home inspectors! Funny how we have to have years of experience and take anual code update classes for just electrical knowledge, yet these guys somehow can inspect a whole house from foundation to plumbing to wiring with no state license !

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Home inspectors! Funny how we have to have years of experience and take anual code update classes for just electrical knowledge, yet these guys somehow can inspect a whole house from foundation to plumbing to wiring with no state license !

Yes, HI's do make mistakes just like the rest of us. Let's not turn this into an Hi bashing contest.

aelectricalman

It did say main breaker rating 125 amps. Its all original. I has a 200 amp main in it. The meter is 200 amps. I feel like it was a simple factory mislabel. Ive seen cutler hammer CH 2 pole breakers that are 20amp stamped on one pole and 30 amp stamped on the other pole. Stuff happens and I wonder if this is some of that stuff.

mcclary's electrical

A customer of mine, has a 200 amp Crouse-Hinds main breaker panel which was flagged by a home inspector for having a 125 main amp max rating. They are saying the main breaker is oversized! Everything is original. The 200 amp main is original, the panel is original and I feel like the sticker on the door that says 125amp mex rating is just a factory mislabel. Can anyone verify this instance? Thanks.

I wouldn't just assume that. The Crouse hinds 200 amp stab in mains will stab right in where the 150's do. I replaced several that burn up the buss. The stab in main is a terrible design

Status
Not open for further replies.