Crushed mc jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

Is it against the code or manufacturers recommendation to allow mc jacket to be crushed? For instance a sizzor lift drove over the cables and some are flattened....but when meggered they was no issue.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
No issue now, but the jacket will have sharp edges that can nick/penetrate the wire. I would scrap it and re-pull it. No way would I use it. Yes, and without looking, there is code about the integrity of conductors and repair.

JJWalecka

What about repairing the jacket? You can repair Romex sheath but is it a violation to repair mc jacket?

Attachments

• 1593107179628283967098136331309.jpg
    1593107179628283967098136331309.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 28

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What about repairing the jacket? You can repair Romex sheath but is it a violation to repair mc jacket?
And just how do you propose repairing a crushed jacket? Use a hydraulic press to crush it the other way instead? Any attempt to repair is more likely to cause more damage instead. AFAIK you cannot just cut out a section and repull the conductors inside.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It's easy to repair NM as was mentioned, just wrap it in 33 tape. How are you going to repair the inside of the crushed MC? The best you can do you will have a couple of sharp edges somewhere, probably on either end of the damaged section.

JJWalecka

And just how do you propose repairing a crushed jacket? Use a hydraulic press to crush it the other way instead? Any attempt to repair is more likely to cause more damage instead. AFAIK you cannot just cut out a section and repull the conductors inside.

Upon further inspection most of the cables were only slightly compressed. There were a few that were destroyed and will require a junction box.

I was fishing for a solution.... hoping there was a listed repair kit for mc cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.