CS simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Anyone simulate the handshake and kissoff from a central station to test communications and if so what do you use?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
No DACT around, just simple burglar alarm controls.

OK, I'm missing something here. If you don't have a Digital Alarm Communicator Transmitter (DACT), how are you going to send the signals to the central station from the burglar panel :confused:? Is this a leased line or municipal tie?

mivey

OK, I'm missing something here. If you don't have a Digital Alarm Communicator Transmitter (DACT), how are you going to send the signals to the central station from the burglar panel :confused:? Is this a leased line or municipal tie?
The alarm control panel would normally dial the CS. Like a Vista 10,15,20-P panel.

You can certainly test by calling a central station, but I was thinking of a local diagnostics box.

Are you currently having issues with your central station?

I have grow accustomed to listening to my test set for the hand shake and kiss off. I think I still have the sounds bites that i recorded from a panel that was transmitting contact id if you are interested?

How do you feel a local diagnostics box would be beneficial?

MAK

I still don't understand why you would need a device to simulate a central station. Are you concerned that the panels you are working with are not communicating correctly? I am not sure what tone is the kiss off signal when listening in on a test set, but maybe you could get one of those line recorders to record the tones. Total guess here.

mivey

Are you currently having issues with your central station?

I have grow accustomed to listening to my test set for the hand shake and kiss off. I think I still have the sounds bites that i recorded from a panel that was transmitting contact id if you are interested?

How do you feel a local diagnostics box would be beneficial?
There is no local central station. The central station is at the contracted monitoring center (ADT, Brinks, etc). You can program a company number in if they will allow you to call them for a test (some product sales companies that also offer monitoring services will allow you to do that).

I can create the tones in a wave editor (and have done so). The data is transmitted but you can't see the reported data it without a module to convert it. I had thought about making one but did not want to do so if there was something inexpensive available. I have seen some for around a $2k but it seemed a bit much as I have no intention of becoming a monitoring center. I just thought it would be handy to have a local interface for testing purposes.

mivey

I still don't understand why you would need a device to simulate a central station. Are you concerned that the panels you are working with are not communicating correctly? I am not sure what tone is the kiss off signal when listening in on a test set, but maybe you could get one of those line recorders to record the tones. Total guess here.
The purpose would be for when there is no central station to be dialed or there is no active phone line on site.

The tones/handshake/data/kissoff details are spelled out in the alarm installation manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.