Csst Bonding Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have been dealing with csst for many years and I always thought that a long run of #6 back to the service would not be so effective. So I just read the gas code and there is a limit of 75'. But then it states if you add another electrode it must be tied to the service electrode system. I guess some energy would be released at the electrode but this could potentially make for a long run back to the service.

Here is the code. This is really just for your info but if you want to comment I would like to hear your opinion on this distance. Maybe you all knew this but it is the first I have read about 75' limit

CSST gas piping systems, and gas piping systems containing one or more segments of CSST, shall be electrically continuous and bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system or, where provided, lightning protection grounding electrode system.

The bonding jumper shall connect to a metallic pipe, pipe fitting, or CSST fitting.

The bonding jumper shall not be smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent.
7.12.2.3*

The length of the jumper between the connection to the gas piping system and the grounding electrode system shall not exceed 75 ft (22 m). Any additional grounding electrodes installed to meet this requirement shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system or, where provided, lightning protection grounding electrode system.

Bonding connections shall be in accordance with NFPA 70.

Devices used for the bonding connection shall be listed for the application in accordance with UL 467, Grounding and Bonding Equipment.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Hey Dennis, I don't care for the I-Codes. The IRC and the International Gas code have this requirement. On large houses we would encounter this problem.

If Ieave the MSP in a basement with a #6 and pull about 75', I have to get to the exterior of the house, drive a ground rod and then continue onto the gas line.

Essentially you have to add or increase the size of your GES, the CSST/Gas line must be bonded to the GES, within 75', and bonded to the service equipment.

What brings this up?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
interesting stuff.

what is this UL 467?

why a GEC, and not a ECG?

is 75' predicated on an R value relevant to mother nature?

~RJ~

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Hey Dennis, I don't care for the I-Codes. The IRC and the International Gas code have this requirement. On large houses we would encounter this problem.

If Ieave the MSP in a basement with a #6 and pull about 75', I have to get to the exterior of the house, drive a ground rod and then continue onto the gas line.

Essentially you have to add or increase the size of your GES, the CSST/Gas line must be bonded to the GES, within 75', and bonded to the service equipment.

What brings this up?

Nothing in particular brings it up but I had never been aware of the 75' deal. In general we are usually within 10' or so of the service but I do remember someone running into this situation and I know he did not add another rod to continue on.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Yes. Ground rod, then jump to gas pipe
You can also jump from other points, like ufer.

I just did that on a house last week where gas meter and ufer were 3 feet apart.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
so it is safe to run the bonding wire 75 feet but 76 feet is unsafe and requires an additional grounding electrode?

Actually 75.1 feet.....hahaha... I don't know many inspectors that would ever measure the wire however it is good info to know to cover you butt. Does the ground rod help? IDK....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Actually 75.1 feet.....hahaha... I don't know many inspectors that would ever measure the wire however it is good info to know to cover you butt. Does the ground rod help? IDK....
just how would an additional ground rod help anyway?

if it is a relatively new home it may well have a CEE and no ground rods, so wouldn't you have to add two rods?

and then run #6 from the CSST to the ground rod, which might only have a #8 back to the rest of the GES.

Status
Not open for further replies.