CSST Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyawaComm

UPDATED: 11/26/19. SEE POST #11

I read through some old threads but couldn't really solve my issue. I have a buried propane tank in a back yard with a buried line going to the regulator area. Near that point, CSST was introduced in a T to supply propane to a propane range added years after the initial propane install. This area is in the back yard and pretty far from the service entrance. I guess if need be, a wire could be run from the area to the service entrance but it would have to be outside and most likely surface mounted. The house does have a sub panel in an adjacent storage shop but I'm not sure if bonding could be accomplished there. Is the only correct way to accomplish the bonding of the CSST pipe to run a #6 from the clamp at the T around to the service entrance? If so, can I just fasten to the existing ground rod. Is distance an issue? Thanks

Last edited:

KyawaComm

Isn't the range in the building where the service is located

It is. The CSST goes up an exterior wall throughtbthe wall into the garage and then through the interior wall to the range. The panel box is in the garage as well but on the opposite outside wall.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why not bond at the range location
Every CSST bonding method I've seen and done, unless I've been doing it wrong, are bonded on the incoming-pipe side of any CSST, never the appliance side of it.

The appliance EGC takes care of that. The idea is that a nearby lightning strike doesn't use the CSST as part of the current pathway to the utility grounding system.

david

Every CSST bonding method I've seen and done, unless I've been doing it wrong, are bonded on the incoming-pipe side of any CSST, never the appliance side of it.

The appliance EGC takes care of that. The idea is that a nearby lightning strike doesn't use the CSST as part of the current pathway to the utility grounding system.

I do not think your way is wrong just not required

Direct Bonding of Standard (Yellow) CSST

"The bonding clamp attachment point may be at any location within the gas piping system

located downstream of the utility gas meter or second-stage LP regulator. "

http://www.csstsafety.com/Images/CSST-Direct-Bonding-Tech-Bulletin.pdf

https://cdn-web.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/membership_councils/CodeNotes_2015IFGC.pdf

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"The bonding clamp attachment point may be at any location within the gas piping system

located downstream of the utility gas meter or second-stage LP regulator. "
That complies with what I said. Anywhere on the contiguous hard pipe after the meter, but ahead of the CSST. The point nearest the service is the most direct.

Added: You don't want any CSST between your bond and the incoming gas service. The idea is to prevent (or at least minimize) any current through the CSST.

KyawaComm

Thanks. My incoming service is my buried tank and the supply line is black rubberized piping. I'd like to clamp at the T just prior to the CSST connection. My struggle is finding the closest end point. It sounds like I should just run to the main panel or the ground rod at the service entrance.

david

That complies with what I said. Anywhere on the contiguous hard pipe after the meter, but ahead of the CSST. The point nearest the service is the most direct.

Added: You don't want any CSST between your bond and the incoming gas service. The idea is to prevent (or at least minimize) any current through the CSST.

you can, but do not have to bond to the hard pipe you are allowed to
bond to the CSST fitting just not to the corrugated (flex) part of the CSST pipe at any point on the pipe system down stream of the meter or regulator supplying the dwelling

That point on the gas system not greater than 75 ft from the bonding point if your building code is the International code, not sure what other building codes reference

your bonding the metal gas system to other metal systems and earth that the NEC includes in its bonding requirements

If the OP bonds in the yard and there is a second regulator at the dwelling supply he would need to bond down stream of that second regulator

At least that how i understand the bonding requirement

Edit
Been in dwellings that there is no hard pipe until you get to an appliance stub passing through the floor from the basement

most of the flex on new construction here today is self bonding (black)

Last edited:

KyawaComm

Attachments

• CSSTBondAtCSSTConnection.jpg
    CSSTBondAtCSSTConnection.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 5
  • CSSTBondAcrossShedWall.jpg
    CSSTBondAcrossShedWall.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 5
  • CSSTBondExitShed.jpg
    CSSTBondExitShed.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 5