CT cabinet need a disconnect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Does a 600 amp residential CT cabinet need to have a disconnect ? (since there is no means of disconnecting by pulling the meter as on a 200 or 400 amp house meter base) Thank you.

ritelec

The building needs the disconnect.
A disconnect or breaker ( up to 6) is the disconnecting means, not the meter.

If the meter or ct needs to be de-energized, it's cut by the utility.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
The building needs the disconnect.
A disconnect or breaker ( up to 6) is the disconnecting means, not the meter.

If the meter or ct needs to be de-energized, it's cut by the utility.
When there is an electrical fire at a house, the fireman can quickly pull the meter to cut the power in the usual house fire. But in my case, there is no quick way to shut the power. Is that a fire safety issue ? Thank you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Fire issue or not it isn't an NEC requirement to have one, could be local requirement or a POCO requirement.

WarrMann

Does a 600 amp residential CT cabinet need to have a disconnect ? (since there is no means of disconnecting by pulling the meter as on a 200 or 400 amp house meter base) Thank you.
I can't imagine the poco wants a disconnect before their CTs. Too much potential for electricity theft. Just shut off the main breaker, add a few extra wires, and you can keep those air conditioners on 24/7.

The code also doesn't require one as i believe those wires going through the CTs are considered service entrance conductors. 230.70 requires you to install a means to disconnect the building from the service entrance conductors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.