CT Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Gents,

For a three-phase protection current transformer, is it OK to jumper together polarity marked leads to create a Y and bring out non-polarity conductors to a protective relay? I recently saw a configuration depicted in the attached sketch where the CT upstream of protected equipment had the polarities connected together, which threw me off, since the CT has to be properly installed & wired in the field to function properly in a scheme.

Please provide your insight. The CT configuration on the left is what I'm used to seeing ..

Thanks,
FaradayFF

Attachments

• Three-line scheme.pdf
    63.7 KB · Views: 0

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I can read the pdf and, to answer the OP, it will depend on whether the "protected equipment" induces a phase-shift AND whether the "microprocessor based relay" can be programmed to recognize the phase-shift, if any, along with the CT wiring configuration. Many modern relays would have no problem.

Ingenieur

It displays fine in the Preview application on a Mac and in the Drive PDF viewer and the Acrobat app on my Android phone.
Did you download the attachment instead of just expecting the diagram to show up in the browser?

just tapped it
all other pdf's just pop open
iphone 6

NewtonLaw

Common depending on application...

Common depending on application...

Gents,

For a three-phase protection current transformer, is it OK to jumper together polarity marked leads to create a Y and bring out non-polarity conductors to a protective relay? I recently saw a configuration depicted in the attached sketch where the CT upstream of protected equipment had the polarities connected together, which threw me off, since the CT has to be properly installed & wired in the field to function properly in a scheme.

Please provide your insight. The CT configuration on the left is what I'm used to seeing ..

Thanks,
FaradayFF

Your pdf file shows the supply CT wired 180° different from the load side CTs. This is common for some differential relay applications. You did not indicated the make and model of the relay. Note that the operating coils in the relay are also 180° from each other and this may be the reason the load CTs are wired with opposite polarity. I would need the make and model of the relay used and it would be helpful to know that device is being protected.

FaradayFF

The CT is part of a differential scheme protection delta(L)-Y grounded(H) Transformer. The relays are Schweitzer relays. I'm thinking that unless the relay is programmed to account for the reverse polarity connection of the load site CT, it may mis operate.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The CT is part of a differential scheme protection delta(L)-Y grounded(H) Transformer. The relays are Schweitzer relays. I'm thinking that unless the relay is programmed to account for the reverse polarity connection of the load site CT, it may mis operate.
A delta-wye transformer will have a phase displacement. You will need to tell the relay about it and the CT configuration. Several Schweitzer models will have no problem.

SG-1

Here is a typical connection for an SEL 787. Looks very much like the scheme you posted.

Attachments

• img20180319_09202494.jpg
    img20180319_09202494.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.