CT/Meter/Wireway/Disc. grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbudden

I am working on a job where we have a 400 amp 1 phase 240 volt service. Utility comes into CT can, out of CT can to Wireway, and out of wireway to 2 Disconnects (400A and 100 A).
My preferred way to ground and bond was to bond neutral at CT to can, bond bushings to neutral, and have supplemental/rod electrode to CT neutral bar. (This is per Utility specs)
In the wireway I would again bond neutral to wireway, GEC from water to neutral, bond bushings to neutral, and supplemental/rods to neutral. (This is per 2003 Handbook)
Then I would bond neutral at each disconnect to can. (this is per NEC 2003 Handbook)
We were told that the new way to do it was all the same except:
1) Take GEC to CT can neutral bar only
2) Do not bond neutral at wireway to frame, only in CT and Disc's
3) Instead of rods to neutral in wireway, rods went to wireway frame. Also all bonding bushings go to frame.
I would appreciate any advice on whether either or both of these are acceptable.
Also if any one can send a sketch or point me to a site with approved methods it would help.
Thanks!!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: CT/Meter/Wireway/Disc. grounding

Either way is acceptable, although I'm not clear on the number of rods you are talking about, and how you are actually connecting to them. In your method you are actually going beyond what is necessary. The utility specs have the NEC rules covered in this case.

There is really no need to change the way you were doing it since all of this was ahead of the Main Disconnect/s, but then again there is no reason not to do it the new way.

Roger

[ May 03, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

Status
Not open for further replies.