CT Shorting Blocks Permanent vs Removable Screws

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
I install what's specified on my jobs and sometimes it's what comes with the equipment. However, when dealing with single ratio CT's on a 3 phase system, are there ever shorting blocks that would have the common permanently shorted to the bridge such that only 1 temporary shorting screw per phase would need to be installed to bypass CT's?

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I install what's specified on my jobs and sometimes it's what comes with the equipment. However, when dealing with single ratio CT's on a 3 phase system, are there ever shorting blocks that would have the common permanently shorted to the bridge such that only 1 temporary shorting screw per phase would need to be installed to bypass CT's?
That's what I recall seeing: one grounding screw per phase. Have also seen little knife switches on 240V CT's.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
What I mean is the screws for the grounded legs are left in place. Only the hot leg screw was removed. At least that's what I remember...

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
That's what I recall seeing: one grounding screw per phase. Have also seen little knife switches on 240V CT's.
The little knife switches you are speaking about are probably shorting test switches. THose are different. Usually 2 poles per CT because each pole has a different purpose. Here's a shortng block I see frequently. Marathon 1604SC. Do they make one with a permenant connection for the current neutral conductor to the bridge so that to short a particular phase, you'd only have to install one screw per phase? 1694563072684.png

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I remember seeing little brass bars right on the CTs that rotate on a single screw in the middle.