CT wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnewport

I am installing new CT's in a cabinet for metering. Does the secondary wiring need to be twisted and if so, why?

Thanks

bphgravity

Re: CT wiring

I have never heard of twisting the secondary leads from a current transformer. Is this stated or implied by the manufacturers instructions? :confused:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

The output of a current transformer is AC and usually 5A, so twisting the wires provides no benefit.

The only reason I have ever seen for twisting CT wires is for appearance. Also, twisted (as opposed to cable tied) wires are easier to route (pull) through switchgear.

brian john

CT's commonly utilized with GF protection systems are specified to be installed twisted. These CT's are actually listed as Current Sensors and have a much lower output (higher ratio). Check the specifications as mentioned.

bnewport

We are installing sub metering for a multi tenent building, for billing purposes. The main breaker is ground fault protected, and after further inspection, only the neutral CT leads are twisted, the phases are not. Thanks for the quick reply. Does anyone know the reasoning behind twisting the neutral leads?

wanderer20001us

Twisting the conductors lowers the impedence of the circuit under high current conditions (like during a fault) and helps ensure proper relay accuracy and response.

feez

posted May 07, 2004 07:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twisting the conductors lowers the impedence of the circuit under high current conditions (like during a fault) and helps ensure proper relay accuracy and response.

Because of mutual inductance?

Ed MacLaren

Twisting the wires keeps them closer to each other which maximixes the amount of flux cancellation, lowering the inductive reactance component of the impedance.

Ed

bnewport

You guys are the best! Thanks for the info. I always like to dig a little deeper than the usual "thats just how they do it."

bnewport

What voltage rating should the wire insulation have from the ct's to the metering cabinet? The service is 277/480 WYE. Some say 600V, others say the voltage will increase proportional to the ct ratio... who is correct? If the ct's are always shorted or connected to a burden, is the higher voltage wire insulation even an issue?

Bryan

bphgravity

600-volt rated conductors will be fine. The only potential danger of significant voltage rise on the transformer secondary is if the leads open while current flows on metered conductors. :)

bnewport

Thanks! I looked @ the existing ct's wiring and they are using 600V MTW which is what we had planned on using in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.