CTL twins or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm going to be replacing all the breakers in a 40+ year old Square D QO panel. It currently has several twins. Should I assume that only non-CTL twins will fit in there?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wouldn't. Assume, that is.

You may be able to rely on the panel door drawing or model number, but I would visually check the stabs.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Unfortunately, I've only seen the panel in a couple of blurry phone pictures. I don't want to show up with CTL's and have them not fit. I also don't want to pay more than I need to for breakers. Considering the shortage of breakers right now, I'm concerned about getting any breakers at all.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Unfortunately, I've only seen the panel in a couple of blurry phone pictures. I don't want to show up with CTL's and have them not fit. I also don't want to pay more than I need to for breakers. Considering the shortage of breakers right now, I'm concerned about getting any breakers at all.
That's why I say take both.
Return the ones you don't use

The most efficient use of your time is to have everything you need to do the job in one trip.

Go loaded for bear

Then you don't even need to waste a trip on returning materials. Just take them back when you're going to be getting other stuff.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I'm going to be replacing all the breakers in a 40+ year old Square D QO panel. It currently has several twins. Should I assume that only non-CTL twins will fit in there?
Square D panels have been CTL style for the past 60 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.