CU Clad conductors

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Splicing of CU clad conductors can be done with standard wire nuts according to Copperweld's site. See here: https://www.copperweld.com/buildingwire/products/nm-b
I'm getting information from a source that says not so fast, this may conflict with the wire nut manufacturer listing and instructions. Specifically, I'm being told that 3M says they do not recognize their wire nuts for CU clad conductors.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The two product specs would have to be in agreement, or the more stringent applies.

They claim its CC GEC wire can be used within 18" of earth and even direct-buried.

I love the theft-deterrence angle. "Our wire is worth more because it's worth less."

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Here is info from UL that indicates one would have to adhere to the specific conductor types and combinations that a connector is listed for. I'm not sure any existing wire nuts are so listed for CU clad.

Attachments

• Copper Clad Aluminum Terminations.pdf
    597.8 KB · Views: 8

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Watch well save the exact amount in cost using copper clad as the cost of properly listed connections and then there will be strict enforcement that we use the proper connections and then a shortage of normal copper only wire will ensue and we'll all be stuck.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is no real reason why the standard wire connectors cannot be used with copper clad aluminum...it is just that they have not been evaluated for that use. CCA behaves exactly like copper when you are using a wire connector.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
There is no real reason why the standard wire connectors cannot be used with copper clad aluminum...it is just that they have not been evaluated for that use. CCA behaves exactly like copper when you are using a wire connector.
My caveat is that CCA and C expand at different rates as temperatures change. So agreeing that CCA to CCA is almost certainly ok. BUT even then the greater size change MIGHT not be accommodated by the spring wire over the long term.

I'm not sure how I feel about CCA to C; it might actually be better in a twisted condition since the conductors would rub as their sizes varied.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
My caveat is that CCA and C expand at different rates as temperatures change. So agreeing that CCA to CCA is almost certainly ok. BUT even then the greater size change MIGHT not be accommodated by the spring wire over the long term.

I'm not sure how I feel about CCA to C; it might actually be better in a twisted condition since the conductors would rub as their sizes varied.
Wago style connections would be free of any of these specific issues since they have a spring per wire.

synchro

Occupation
EE
On the bottom of the webpage linked below, Ideal says their purple model 65 "Twister" is suitable for C to CCA connections in dry locations. But according to my interpretation of their wording it would not be suitable for CCA to CCA connections. To join two CCA wires with them, you'd apparently have to use two purple twisters with a piece of copper wire between them. Not too practical.

https://www.idealind.com/us/en/shop...err-al-cu-wire-connector-model-65-purple.html

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think this is all just resistance from the traditional copper wire manufactures and maybe a bit of pressure on the connector manufacturers to limit the effect of a competitive product , CCA.