Curious about sleeved SEU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towzzer

What do the rules say regarding this install.
2 1/2 rigid mast service stops say 2 feet above meter pan. 4 seu comes out and is attached to the wall with approved device. goes into the meter pan with a compression fitting (seu type). To me it seems to make a height requirement for the drop this was done. Is this 10 foot open ended piece of rigid considered a sleeve?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Curious about sleeved SEU

Being unterminated, I would say yes, it is a sleeve. Is there a bushing on the lower end?

Towzzer

It's a SEU compression connector with a bushing inside the meter and a s-load of duct seal on the outside, Honestly looks clean but feels like it's a violation

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Although short lengths of conduit may be used as sleeves I would be concerned with a 10' length of rigid conduit that is ungrounded and contains service entrance cable. Could it possibly become energized?

LawnGuyLandSparky

Sounds like the SEU is unprotected for that 2' above the meter pan. Here it would be a violation to have that gap here, but not an NEC violation as the inspector doesn't look at anything pre-meter. That's considered the utility's jurisdiction.

I've been in areas of Upstate NY, Pennsylvania and Connecticut and Mass where the SEU is totally exposed, no sleeve at all, above the meter, sometimes installed quite a distance and traversing a few eves and soffits until it gets to the POE.

I've also seen SEU and SER run unsleeved and unprotected for some distances below the meter as well, in the aforementioned areas.

Different strokes for different AHJ's I suppose...

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by LawnGuyLandSparky:
I've also seen SEU and SER run unsleeved and unprotected for some distances below the meter as well, in the aforementioned areas.

Different strokes for different AHJ's I suppose...
Why not, SE is after all service entrance cable.

Of course I am a MA guy. :D

[ September 06, 2005, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

here, if its not installed by POCO its under inspector's jurisdiction. I would share infinity's concern and would only accept it if it was bushed and bonded...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Why not, SE is after all service entrance cable.
We do it the same way here in NJ. Exposed above/below the meter, which is NEC compliant as long as it's not subject to physical damage.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by infinity:
We do it the same way here in NJ. Exposed above/below the meter, which is NEC compliant as long as it's not subject to physical damage.
Yeah, many times if the service is 'on' the driveway SE is out due to the possibility of physical damage.

Of course if the fear is a car or snowplow hitting it schedule 80 PVC is not going to do much better. :confused:

My own house has SE from service point to panel in the basement, it hides better than raceway if run nicely.

benaround

Towzzer,

The 2 1/2" ,does it have a weatherhead on it? If it does then 230.51 (A) would be a rule to check out.

Also 230.54(D)

cselectric

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Originally posted by iwire:

My own house has SE from service point to panel in the basement
What! This is an outrage!
Sure is. I would have run 3" RMC. Of course I happen to have some extra 3" laying around, so that makes material cost cheap. Which is the same reason why I have 400W Metal Halide wall packs on the back of my house :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by cselectric:
Which is the same reason why I have 400W Metal Halide wall packs on the back of my house :D
Yeah funny how that works. :D

You running them 277? ;)

cselectric

Originally posted by iwire:
Originally posted by cselectric:
Which is the same reason why I have 400W Metal Halide wall packs on the back of my house :D
Yeah funny how that works. :D

You running them 277? ;)
I only wish I had 277 available at the house, but the POCO will have none of that nonsense. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.