Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

foqnc

After finding this site and enjoying learning from other fields within the Electrical trade, I?ve taken a greater interest in areas that I have never worked in. For example I?ve looked at our incoming 3 phase supply from the POCO in more detail. I can search for explanations regarding most of the components used to provide power to us, insulators/transformers etc but there is one component I cannot find an explanation for. The Area surrounding the supply is fenced and locked, POCO only has access from what I know, so why is there a mail box about 3ft from the ground attached to the power pole?:confused:

Getting ready to leave work, but looking forward to insightful replies tomorrow. :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
foqnc said:
After finding this site and enjoying learning from other fields within the Electrical trade, I?ve taken a greater interest in areas that I have never worked in. For example I?ve looked at our incoming 3 phase supply from the POCO in more detail. I can search for explanations regarding most of the components used to provide power to us, insulators/transformers etc but there is one component I cannot find an explanation for. The Area surrounding the supply is fenced and locked, POCO only has access from what I know, so why is there a mail box about 3ft from the ground attached to the power pole?:confused:

Getting ready to leave work, but looking forward to insightful replies tomorrow. :D

It may have something to do with the length of time it took someone to complete the original installation. ;)

Then again, it might be where the POCO employees leave messages, daily records, charts, etc... for other POCO employees.

Roger

allenwayne

Maybe the last lineman working on that pole took so long they decided to set a mailbox so he isn`t late on his bills.....:)

JohnJ0906

petersonra said:
maybe it is not a "mail" box, but a storage box for drawings and other materials relating to the installation.
If so, thats a good idea. Using a mailbox for that, I mean. Simple, cheap, made to keep paper dry outdoors... So simple, I'd never have thunk it!

mdshunk

Sometimes, an odd size of fuse that is not in normal truck stock is kept on the pole someplace. They sell holders for this purpose, some utilities just hang them up top by a scrap of wire. A mailbox wouldn't be out of the question either.

foqnc

Jim W in Tampa said:
Do this but the flag up and a letter in it to your home,see if it gets picked up.If not complain.
:D I thought of that, but its locked and we have no key.

Thanks for the replies guys, I thought it maybe a storage area, just got a chuckle when I saw a mail box. I'd love to see a newbie Postman come round and wonder how he's to get the mail.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
JohnJ0906 said:
If so, thats a good idea. Using a mailbox for that, I mean. Simple, cheap, made to keep paper dry outdoors... So simple, I'd never have thunk it!

My mailbox doesn't keep anything dry. But who knows, maybe the mailman pours a cup of water in it along with the mail when its raining. We did forget him last Christmas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.