Current Carrying Conductors

LWT

Occupation
Estimator
I have a twinned furnace each requiring its own 20A ckt. The FLA for each is 12.5A. The current wiring is 3ea #10, (H, N, G). Can I install another hot and neutral #10 thhn and be within code in the same raceway? The existing panel is a 4w 3ph 208 wye connected system and the existing raceway is 3/4" EMT.

According to 310.15 (B) (3) (b) the neutral is considered a current carrying conductor making (4) hot wires and one ground in a 3/4" raceway. I am sure there needs to be a calculation done for deration on the cable, but I get lost in the translation......lol. Can anyone offer some help on this?

kwired

Electron manager
I have a twinned furnace each requiring its own 20A ckt. The FLA for each is 12.5A. The current wiring is 3ea #10, (H, N, G). Can I install another hot and neutral #10 thhn and be within code in the same raceway? The existing panel is a 4w 3ph 208 wye connected system and the existing raceway is 3/4" EMT.

According to 310.15 (B) (3) (b) the neutral is considered a current carrying conductor making (4) hot wires and one ground in a 3/4" raceway. I am sure there needs to be a calculation done for deration on the cable, but I get lost in the translation......lol. Can anyone offer some help on this?
The EGC doesn't count as a current carrying conductor. The other four do. So you adjust ampacity of them based on the table entry for four current carrying conductors.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

You have 3 conductors, H, N, G. 310.15 (B) (3) (b) does not apply because you have a single hot conductor using the neutral, so both count; the EGC doesn't count. 2 CCCs.

If you pull in an additional H and N, you add a completely separate circuit. Both H and N count, 310.15 (B) (3) (b) doesn't apply. Total 4 CCCs.

If you pull in an additional H, from a different phase in the panel, 310.15 (B) (3) (b) would apply. In this case you have a shared neutral, H-N-H, but the neutral counts, 3 CCCs.

With 4 CCC your derating factor is 80%. #10 is still good for 12.5A unless there is some other factor involved.

-Jonathan

LWT

Occupation
Estimator
Thank you for your feedback.

I know the EGC is not a current carrying conductor but am I correct in saying the neutral for each is? It has always been said to only allow 3 current carrying conductors in a single run of conduit. I was not thinking about the neutral being current carrying. If this is true I will need to run another conduit for the other ckt?

kwired

Electron manager
You have 3 conductors, H, N, G. 310.15 (B) (3) (b) does not apply because you have a single hot conductor using the neutral, so both count; the EGC doesn't count. 2 CCCs.

If you pull in an additional H and N, you add a completely separate circuit. Both H and N count, 310.15 (B) (3) (b) doesn't apply. Total 4 CCCs.

If you pull in an additional H, from a different phase in the panel, 310.15 (B) (3) (b) would apply. In this case you have a shared neutral, H-N-H, but the neutral counts, 3 CCCs.

With 4 CCC your derating factor is 80%.
#10 is still good for 12.5A unless there is some other factor involved.

-Jonathan
But if you only have 3 CCCs you have no adjustment factor that is required.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

I know the EGC is not a current carrying conductor but am I correct in saying the neutral for each is?
Yes. Each two-wire circuit is two CCCs.

A three-wire from 1ph is two CCCs; from 3ph it's three CCCs

It has always been said to only allow 3 current carrying conductors in a single run of conduit. I was not thinking about the neutral being current carrying. If this is true I will need to run another conduit for the other ckt?
No. Three CCCs is the limit before derating, not the absolute limit.

#10 cu, which starts at 40a, is still rated at (0.8 x 40) 32a, even with four CCCs.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Am my I the only one reading the OP's question to be 8 CCC's? He has 3-two wire circuits (6 CCC's) and wants to add a fourth??

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Am my I the only one reading the OP's question to be 8 CCC's? He has 3-two wire circuits (6 CCC's) and wants to add a fourth??
Good question. Reading it again, it's not clear whether he has three #10 conductors or three circuits.

OP, we need clarification. How many wires are presently in the conduit?

Note that one EGC may serve many loads.

LWT

Occupation
Estimator
I have one existing ckt. for a twinned furnace. the inspector is asking for each to have its own ckt and means of disconnect. So two ckts total in one 3/4" EMT conduit.
Two #10 hots
Two #10 neutrals
One #10 ground

5 wires total

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have one existing ckt. for a twinned furnace. the inspector is asking for each to have its own ckt and means of disconnect. So two ckts total in one 3/4" EMT conduit.
Two #10 hots
Two #10 neutrals
One #10 ground

5 wires total
Absolutely okay. (y)

If you really wanted to, you could use a 2p breaker (or a handle tie) and add only one more wire.

If the EMT is intact from metal enclosure to metal enclosure, you don't have to have the wire EGC.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
You did the calculation. 4 CCC #10 has a derated ampacity of 32A, which is greater than 12.5A.

Of course if the conduit goes through a 180F heated room..... :)
Yes, that would require separate conduits, as the temperature derating factor for 82.2C ambient with 90C conductors is 0.36, so the #10 has a temperature corrected ampacity of 14.4A, but with an 80% adjustment that's only 11.5A.

Turn the temperature down to 175F (0.419 temperature correction factor), and one conduit is still fine. : - )

Cheers, Wayne

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Btw, you only need #12 awg conductors. If you want you can add one extra conductor and share the neutral. The new multiwire branch circuit would need to have a dp breaker or 2 single pole units with a breaker tie.

kwired

Electron manager
Btw, you only need #12 awg conductors. If you want you can add one extra conductor and share the neutral. The new multiwire branch circuit would need to have a dp breaker or 2 single pole units with a breaker tie.
Keep in mind sometimes they parallel the 24VAC control circuits when twinning furnaces. Supplying them with a MWBC on a 208/120 supply would never allow you to get those two transformer secondary outputs in phase with each other.