Current IEEE Standard Graphic Symbols for Electrical and Electronics Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
What is the current standard for electrical symbols used in the USA? IEEE's site lists 315-1975 as being "inactive" and, frankly, it seems extremely dated but I can't seems to identify a publication that superseded it. Most of what I encounter at work is European machines that use IEC standards, so I'm not terribly familiar with American standards.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What is the current standard for electrical symbols used in the USA? IEEE's site lists 315-1975 as being "inactive" and, frankly, it seems extremely dated but I can't seems to identify a publication that superseded it. Most of what I encounter at work is European machines that use IEC standards, so I'm not terribly familiar with American standards.
I don't think there is one. There are some standard symbols in an annex of NFPA79 that you could use.

milmat1

"It Can't Do That !"
Occupation
Controls Engineer
I don't think there is one. There are some standard symbols in an annex of NFPA79 that you could use.
True, It seems to be whatever is specified at the beginning of the project. I see all kinds of variations in machine drawings. I typically use ACAD's library of NFPA for standard symbols.

Occupation
Electrician
I just ordered it. It's extremely aggravating how so much of this stuff doesn't seem to actually be standardized. I've been trying to overhaul my panel building process and make sure that I'm compliant with UL508, NEC, and any other relevant standards, as well as drawing schematics in a manner that is simple for maintenance personnel to read and understand, but a lot of what I've found regarding wiring diagrams seems to be open to interpretation. I much prefer the European style of drawings, and I've been mostly using their standards so far. They seem much more comprehensive and clear to me, but I feel that I should be doing things to American standards.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I much prefer the European style of drawings, and I've been mostly using their standards so far. They seem much more comprehensive and clear to me, but I feel that I should be doing things to American standards.
There have never really been a single set of American standards. 50 years ago the heavy machine industry had different standards than the automotive industry. I remember when one major motor control manufacturer used Green/Red pilot lights to show On/Off conditions while a different manufacturer used Red/Green for the same conditions.

It has gotten a little better with IEC, UL508A and NFPA79, but we are still far from a true standard.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There have never really been a single set of American standards. 50 years ago the heavy machine industry had different standards than the automotive industry. I remember when one major motor control manufacturer used Green/Red pilot lights to show On/Off conditions while a different manufacturer used Red/Green for the same conditions.
I remember that. Some customers used white for running too.

If you wanted different colors on the lights in the MCC bucket, AB made it an engineered product that took like 18 weeks to get. We used to get boxes of color caps and just swap them out if a customer wanted something that was not the AB standard.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If you wanted different colors on the lights in the MCC bucket, AB made it an engineered product that took like 18 weeks to get. We used to get boxes of color caps and just swap them out if a customer wanted something that was not the AB standard.
Yeah, but then the MCC bucket wiring diagrams did not match the factory wiring diagrams.

For the most part motor control diagrams are still different looking than those supplied with switchgear. I have spent many hours fixing problems caused by those that thought they are done the same way.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yeah, but then the MCC bucket wiring diagrams did not match the factory wiring diagrams.

For the most part motor control diagrams are still different looking than those supplied with switchgear. I have spent many hours fixing problems caused by those that thought they are done the same way.
Neither of the places I have worked have relied on the bucket drawings. We usually end up having to do something that is a little different than "standard" so there is almost always a drawing we make that shows the bucket wiring.

The bucket drawings are usually done different that "standard" ladder diagrams anyway so they are not as easy to follow for trouble shooting. They are made for the guys who cannot read schematics and need what amounts to point to point diagrams.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
There is NECA 100, but one website says its been replaced by an ANSI standard.

A search of ANSI brings up mil-std-15-3, which is a DOD document, but it also appears to have been phased out.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is NECA 100, but one website says its been replaced by an ANSI standard.

A search of ANSI brings up mil-std-15-3, which is a DOD document, but it also appears to have been phased out.
I think it just got renamed as an ANSI standard but is still produced by the same organization.

I think the NECA document is mostly for construction and not automation drawings.

Status
Not open for further replies.