Current limiters for track lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyRules

The current limiters you can buy as breakers (with their Din rail mounting) in their own panel appear to be nothing more than breakers, what makes these sacrosanct VS a standard breaker with the same amperage? This is per use for our states compliance with the model energy code to limit the power to track lighting runs. They typically are very small amps like 1,2,3,5, etc.

gar

Occupation
EE
170831-0642 EDT

Is this really a current limiter (something like a constant current source, I doubt it), or is it just a low current circuit breaker that trips open on overload, or a recycling over current device?

What happens upon an overload?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The current limiters you can buy as breakers (with their Din rail mounting) in their own panel appear to be nothing more than breakers, what makes these sacrosanct VS a standard breaker with the same amperage? This is per use for our states compliance with the model energy code to limit the power to track lighting runs. They typically are very small amps like 1,2,3,5, etc.

Good question. Since these are an energy code requirement as opposed to an NEC requirement I'm not sure who dictates how current limiting is done. It would seem to me that unless the energy code specifies how or to be listed for the purpose then you could use a DIN breaker of the appropriate value. The NEC would just see this as a supplementary overcurrent device. That said, isn't it just as easy to just use the packaged devices sold for this purpose?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What energy code requires this?

CA, among others.
The code specifies maximum lighting watts (not just lumens) for a given area and usage.
Since you can add heads to track lighting after inspection the current limiters are there to set a hard maximum on the watts you can install on particular sets of track.
So that what the inspector sees and Fullthrotl certifies is what stays in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.