Current Limiting OCPD's

Grouch1980

I understand that if it is decided to use current limiting fuses / circuit breakers to protect a downstream circuit breaker, that combination has to be series rated, due to the presence of dynamic impedance. If the downstream equipment is an appliance with passive impedance, then there is no need for the series rating, and you can freely use the current limiting OCPD.

Is there any concern with a current limiting OCPD feeding a downstream control panel, or a downstream EV charging cabinet? Control panels and charging cabinets have integral fuses and circuit breakers. Is there any concern with dynamic impedance? Or can one specify a current limiting OCPD without worrying about any series ratings with the integral fuses / breakers in the control panel or charging cabinet.

I'm asking since I have an available short circuit current at the line side terminals of several items that is higher than their SCCR ratings.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If the downstream equipment is an appliance with passive impedance, then there is no need for the series rating, and you can freely use the current limiting OCPD
Have you ever seen this type of documentation in writing? In literature, I have seen passive devices mentioned as conductors and busbars.

Grouch1980

Have you ever seen this type of documentation in writing? In literature, I have seen passive devices mentioned as conductors and busbars.
So the answer is no then I presume. I should not be specifying a current limiting OCPD to protect (short circuit wise) a downstream control panel or EV charging cabinet?