Current on GEC

Testing out my handy new Fluke T-6 and I found 4 amps on my GEC! I confirmed it with 2 other meters. I shut off my main and it went to 0. Then I started throwing branch circuits one by one and found the furnace circuit was the one that when turned off the amperage left the GEC. I followed the GEC to the water pipe and put my ammeter around the pipe and continued the exercise and found the same condition. There are 2-4 amps running up my cold water pipe and into my panel. Any ideas on how this is happening?

Is there a good EGC to the furnace?
Yes I believe so. Theres continuity all the way back to the panel but I can’t say for sure that every component in the furnace has a good connection to the EGC because it’s simply terminated at a junction box in the beginning and after that there’s nothing but the bolts of the enclosure that ensure connectivity to the EGC

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
If the current goes away when you shut off the furnace breaker the next thing is to find if it is coming back to the panel on the neutral or EG or if wired in AC cable or another metallic wiring method that could be touching a water pipe somewhere

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
How much current is on the neutral? The same or more?

I mean, with a metallic city water system this could be essential normal.
Probably not going to be specific to the furnace circuit unless there is something special going on there. Gas furnace may not even be a specially high single phase load. I am assuming that gas furnace will use 120 though, unlike dryer. But toaster, dishwasher, etc. could cause the same problem.
Important question: Is the current there only when furnace is actually running?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Probably not going to be specific to the furnace circuit unless there is something special going on there. ...

Agreed but I'm skeptical that the current on the GEC is actually zero when the furnace is not on. With a metal city water network I wouldn't ever expect it to be truly zero.

I suppose we should ask to confirm that the GEC is well terminated to the neutral.