Current reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaugh

Occupation
Engineer
This 480 volt service is fed by 4 parallel feeds. The electrician had 1 of the 4 phase conductors in the amp clamps for each phase. All A, B, C were sampled from the same parallel feed. So does the amp recording result of one of the 4 parallel feeds need to be multiplied by 4 to obtain the service load.?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If each parallel element had exactly the same impedance, theoretically yes.

Reality is if you clamped each one separately you will likely find load distribution among them does vary.
I had one of four parallels that read 50 amps lower than the other three for some reason. I was there doing an energy management survey for the customer, and it puzzled the engineers that were with me too. I had the customer set up with their local contractor and the poco to investigate. I figured it was probably a bad connection at the transformer. Never heard back what they found.

kwired

Electron manager
I remember pulling four sets out to a pole top transformer. By the time the POCO made things up, nothing was the same length. Currents weren’t the same either, but the building still stands.
Most the time I think it ends up close enough that no individual conductor becomes overloaded to any extreme, but yes it isn't easy to obtain exactly same total impedance on each individual conductor of the set.

Should add: on a short run, say 5 feet, if you cut 6" off one conductor that is 10% of the total length and can have bigger impact at unbalancing than if you cut 6" off one conductor of a 50 foot run.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Most the time I think it ends up close enough that no individual conductor becomes overloaded to any extreme, but yes it isn't easy to obtain exactly same total impedance on each individual conductor of the set.
It also depends on how closely the conductors were sized to the current.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I remember pulling four sets out to a pole top transformer. By the time the POCO made things up, nothing was the same length. Currents weren’t the same either, but the building still stands.
I have never seen anyone check the length of parallel condcutors when they're terminating them. Never seen a problem either.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I laid off a helper many years ago, and the company he went to work for was doing a Roses department store. He called me asking if how they were making up the service was right. The foreman was cutting all of the phases including the neutral the exact same length! He said it looked like spaghetti under that 1600 amp gear! LOL!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I laid off a helper many years ago, and the company he went to work for was doing a Roses department store. He called me asking if how they were making up the service was right. The foreman was cutting all of the phases including the neutral the exact same length! He said it looked like spaghetti under that 1600 amp gear! LOL!
That's the way I learned how to do it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes that is the way I do it and it is what the code says. It might not be pretty, but code says same length. In my experience, most electricians ignore the same length rule.
Unless the run is extremely short the rule can be ignored without peril. If you have 750 kcmil to terminate good luck losing a few feet. ;)

hillbilly1

Occupation
No, each phase the same length, but yes, excess wire from the shortest pipe compared to the longest snaked around the inside of the gear.
Yeah, that’s fine, but they pulled ALL conductors the same length, and didn’t cut any off. They didn’t understand that parallel conductors should be same length meant each phase, not all conductors! LOL!

Unless the run is extremely short the rule can be ignored without peril. If you have 750 kcmil to terminate good luck losing a few feet. ;)
Actually I recently ignored it when replacing a 1200A switchboard with a PB where I reused the 2 sets of 750 CU from the CT can. 750 CU is not super happy fun time. I admit I have gotten more lax with ignoring this rule. In my earlier days I would lay the conductors out and cut them the exact same length and not be able to make an art project out of it. About 5 years ago I did a new 1200A and I used a 36x36 pull box instead of LB's and I did cut each phase the same length and stuffed the extra in that box.

Status
Not open for further replies.