Current Safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I wanted to get the group opinion on Current Safe. For those that may not be familiar, Current Safe is basically the Residential version of Tegg. We have invested quite a bit of money into testing and advertising this technology/product, but so far the operational cost does not seem worth it. For us, the challenge undoubtedly is related to cost. For example, the consumer price just for testing an 8000 sqft home is a little over $9k. NOBODY wants to pay that kind of money just for a test. However, Current Safe continues to develop new products with extremely limited focus on marketing. It seems as though they prefer their "dealers" (us) to do the marketing for them. One example is the TING, which according to Current Safe simply plugs into any one outlet in the entire home, and monitors every inch of wire within the home for faults, for the lifetime of the device. Information on TING is almost hidden on the internet aside from typing in the obscure link. So my question friends, is how can Current Safe justify charging it's authorized agents thousands per month when their product is next to impossible to sell?
Out of a few hundred leads last year, only 2 turned into sales, and of those, only one rendered anymore work. The other was a test that yielded very minimal findings, and the customer was left frustrated by the cost. Meanwhile, our company paid around $60K for the rights just to advertise it. I am tossing around the idea now of cancelling our Current Safe program altogether, and offering simple panel inspections with the possibility of a small discount for those inspections which close on panel changes and modifications to individual circuits.
Have any of you had experience with Current Safe?
Have any of you even heard of it before?
Most importantly, has anyone had any success selling it? If yes, to whom did you market it?

Thanks,
PSP

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I visited their web site, and came to my own conclusion that this product and service is worthless. They are playing on the ignorance and fears of the general public. I would not be surprised if I were to learn that the majority of their revenues come from companies like yours, and not from sales to the end users. My advice: run, do not walk, away from this company.

I visited their web site, and came to my own conclusion that this product and service is worthless. They are playing on the ignorance and fears of the general public. I would not be surprised if I were to learn that the majority of their revenues come from companies like yours, and not from sales to the end users. My advice: run, do not walk, away from this company.

Thank you.

Companies like this suck investors in then suck dealers like you in. Then they go out of business with the money.

-Hal

They do, and we were aware of that risk before we ever got involved. We were lucky enough to sub some work out and collect percentages from Current Safe jobs that our sub-contractors do. Unfortunately, there just aren't enough here in our market to make it worth our while. That's why I wanted to ask you all if anyone has had any kind of positive feedback, or if everyone shared the same opinion as me. I pretty much got my answer by the resounding lack of replies, and the couple here that reaffirm my suspicion. As I heard it, Current Safe was at one time synonymous with TEGG. Current Safe was the Residential version, TEGG was commercial. Since then, the developers of TEGG chose to pursue only commercial business and to discontinue their investment in Current Safe. Current Safe now exists because the project manager for the technology believed so strongly in his product, that he couldn't stand the thought of it being discontinued. He made and offer to the developers of TEGG to buy the brand, they accepted it, and now they are two completely separate entities. The problem is, it's bad business. With AFCI's now on scene, and the high cost of Current Safe testing, it doesn't make sense for homeowners to invest in it. My opinion on it now, is that our only avenue for marketing is to go after insurance companies. That endeavor is next to impossible to pursue, unless Current Safe first proves its value to insurance companies, and secondly advertises their list of qualified vendors. There is no way that an insurance company will give me the time of day when I call and propose a service to them, on which there is virtually no available literature proving it's worth. I think we'll just go ahead and shut it down. There are other things we can use that money for. Thanks for your thoughts.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
From what I saw, there is nothing that the average EC couldn't do. No special test equipment- dare to say a HI could do it. Except for the BS software, just show up in a arc flash suit and you have it.

-Hal

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Never heard of Tegg or Current Safe. Sounds like a colossal ripoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.