Current Transformer calculation 200&200 :5 amps 3 wire system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searchman2

I have a system that consists of 2- 400 amps services. The Wh readings are read by a single meter. There are two CT's with a primary coil showing 200&200 secondary :5 amps. The POCO has a multiplier of 40 on the demand meter. I am questioning if the 40 multiplier is correct?
L1 and L2 phases enter the Ct's from opposing directions. From the research I have already done the one cancels out the other and the multiplier should be 20 not 40. Am I CT Phases.jpg calculating the multiplier correctly?

rcwilson

If the ratio is 200:5 the multiplier is 200/5=40. Even though it is a 400A service, the utility may be using a 200A CT to get better accuracy at lower loads than 400A. Most meters are rated for 10A continuous current input so it would not be damaged by 10 amsp form a 200/5 CT during a 400A load.

The relative polarity of the CT and meter connections may be correct. We don't have enough information to tell.

If you think it is not correct, put enough load on L1 to make the meter register power use. Then add load on L2. The meter should turn faster as load is added. If it slows down, polarity is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.