Current Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc1060

I have to remove and replace a protective relay for a 4160V circuit breaker. When I remove the protective relay is the CT secondary considered open? Do I need to short the CT before the relay is removed?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have to remove and replace a protective relay for a 4160V circuit breaker. When I remove the protective relay is the CT secondary considered open? Do I need to short the CT before the relay is removed?
if the primary side is still energized you definitely want to short out the secondary side or you will get an infinite voltage there. the CT should be wired to a shorting block anyway. Just short it out before you mess with it any.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If the CT wires are ran through a test switch it should shunt when you open them.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
if the primary side is still energized you definitely want to short out the secondary side or you will get an infinite voltage there. the CT should be wired to a shorting block anyway. Just short it out before you mess with it any.
The voltage may seem infinite, but it is finite and predicted by the turns ratio of the CT and the load impedance on the primary side, as well as the saturation characteristics of the CT core.

synchro

Occupation
EE
The voltage may seem infinite, but it is finite and predicted by the turns ratio of the CT and the load impedance on the primary side, as well as the saturation characteristics of the CT core.
And also possibly limited by whatever is the weakest link in the insulation breakdown voltage on the secondary side.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Here’s what happens when one goes open! LOL! The meter failed on this one, mucho dinero to fix!

Attachments

• 2BD10A0C-DE84-49C0-BC45-58A215A6B64E.jpeg
    2BD10A0C-DE84-49C0-BC45-58A215A6B64E.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 23

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
How long did that take to occur? Looks like it burned up.
Don’t know how long it took, customer owned meter/transformer/high line from street. I just walked into the store about 15 minutes after it blew a pole fuse. Melted the secondary feeds to the store. The poco went ahead and upgraded their metering at the street. Store was on generator for about two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.