Custom Automatic Generator Start Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRG9729

We have a job for a customer that has a 8kw automatic generator. We plan on using a manual Square D interlock kit for the panel. We're proposing designing a automatic start system for the generator utilizing its monitoring circuit. We would like to tap off the service entrance conductors and feed a 4 circuit panel box. Two circuits will protect the feeder conductors/taps and the other 2 will feed the generator monitoring circuit. When the power drops the generator will energize and all the homeowner will do is engage the interlock. The only issue I have is if we're code complaint with tapping before the main service disconnect breaker in panel? Power comes from the meter located at the transformer then to the main panel. We want to tap the main conductors in the main panel before the CB. The service is a 120/240 volt 200 amp underground. We are in NY and follow the 2002 NEC for residential. Thank you.

RUWired

The only issue I have is if we're code complaint with tapping before the main service disconnect breaker in panel?

We want to tap the main conductors in the main panel before the CB.
Thank you.
KRG first, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you want to tap the line side of the main breaker with conductors to feed a small sub panel. The way i understand 230.82(5) is the the tap has to be made in service equipment already designed with provisions for ocpd's such as a small compartment in the equipment or a listed fuse block in an approved section of the service equipment.

A seperate tap can be made before your main breaker enclosure in another approved enclosure rated for the minimum in 230.79(A)(B)(C).

230.82(5) Taps used only to supply load management devices, circuits for standby power systems, fire pump equipment, and fire and sprinkler alarms, if provided with service equipment and installed in accordance with requirements for service-entrance conductors.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.